Installed My Own Roofing :) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

installed my own roofing :)

So, the quotes were so high that it would have eaten away all my tax return money...lol...I have alot of projects planned this year. I did my research and asked questions. I got a great deal from the home depot on 20 year shingles, since they are being phased out for 25 year shingles. Got all the materials I needed. Luckily, the house has two wings on both sides of the gable ends. I am able to do the front side of both wings, then the front of the main gable on seperate week-ends. The entire rear of the house is one continous roof line so it will take about 5-6 days for me to do. Did i mention i am doing it all myself...lol...so i finished the left side extension/wing this weekend. I did the tear down, cleaned and preped the area, removed siding, put down my eve flashing, laid felt, put down the rake flashing, laid down shingles and step-flashing, put on the ridge caps, re-installed siding. All the was left to do was trim the pieces that were hanging from the end. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT IN A STRAIGHT LINE ......AAARRRGGHHHH....after all that work, I can't believe this last part is so hard to do....is there a special tool to use? I tried sawing the damn things off, cutting with utility knife, using a cutting wheel attached to my cordless driver.....nothing !!!!! My wife who is the biggest nit-picker there is, left this morning and called me up and said the roof looks really good so I know I did a good job. Someone help me not screw it up...lol
Attached Thumbnails
installed my own roofing :)-new-roof.jpg  

Advertisement

cherry_560sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,324

Cut the shingles from the back side with a utility knife.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Right! Cut off with utility knife, I would suggest a hook blade. Home Depot will show you what I mean. You might want to "Tack" a 1x2 of something similar under the overhanging shingles and use the outside edge as your guide. Also, it is much easier to cut when the temperature is on the warm side. If it's too cool, leave it until a warmer time. If you are to do it now, the shingles may crack or a chunk might break off. Also use a sharp blade and replace it every so often.
Not hard, just take the time and do it right.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

ok...i will go see about a hook blade today. Right now it looks like i chewed the ends with my teeth..lol...i am so mad because even though you can't see from ten feet away, when you get up close to the house you can see the line is all jaged and crap...the thing is, do i do this from the roof or from a ladder?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,184

Easiest way is usually from on the roof. Just use your drip edge as a guide, or if you want to overhang it a bit more, crook one of your fingers a bit, and use it as a guide along the rake.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

i put a chalk line on the ridge and pull it down to the bottom snap it and start at the top cutting with straight tin snips gives a nice straight edge
mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
i put a chalk line on the ridge and pull it down to the bottom snap it and start at the top cutting with straight tin snips gives a nice straight edge

I tried that and it sorta worked. Still can't get a straight line though. I have a little over 5/8" overhang and I want to get it down to 1/4". I am going to try to use a dremel tool on it tomorrow after work.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

Too late for this one now, but as I recall, (I roofed for a summer in college) we measured the last piece on each row, marked it and cut it from the back side before we installed it. Used a utility knife and a straight edge. Much easier to work with than when they are all overlapped and hangin' all over the edge.

In your case I would chalk line it and use a scissors or tin snips. They have these big all metal scissors, (I don't know if they are specific to roofing) that work pretty well.

It's going to look a lot worse sitting 2 feet away on the roof than from the lawn or the street.

Last edited by speedtree; 03-01-2011 at 11:38 PM.
speedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 172

You will find it a lot easier if you just carry the utility knife in your pouch and cut each course off as you lay it. Have seen many people do the whole roof, then have to go back and trim the ends, never made any sense to me. Much easier to do it as you go, if nothing else at least you won't have do a miserable job continuously for a long period. With a hook blade you really don't HAVE to cut from the back side, the hook wraps around so it is actually cutting the backside first.

I really prefer to cut to length before I install it. I lay the final shingle of the course in place, use my knife to make a small cut at the top to mark for length, flip the shingle and cut it to length then flip it over into place and nail it. I make my cuts line up with the metal roof edging, really no need to hang over past that, it's already a half inch past the fascia.

I just use a shingle scrap as a straight edge if I need one but a small speed square that can fit in your back pocket works well too.

If you want to pony up the dough they make a shingle cutter that looks like one of those paper cutters you used in school, kinda pricey though.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

....yeah...that really is the way to go...I will trim the last piece before nailing it on and see how it looks. I hpe I can get some work done this week-end. This time it is only about 90 sq.ft. that i will be removing and replacing, but there is lots of siding to take off this time. I'll post a pic of it when it's done
Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Maybe it's a red-neck thing: I was taught, and it's still done around here, to start that type roof from the drip-edge then going to the siding. That way all the shingles have the "pretty" edge showing. The cut is made on the last piece put down at the siding/wall, flip it over, turn it backwards, mark/make the cut, and it lines up every time.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote