Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Installation of bathroom exhaust fan

I am in the process of installing a bathroom exhaust fan in my 2nd floor of a 3 story home. There are two wiring connections (one for a light and one for the fan). I only need the one for the fan. Am I able to just put screws covers on the black, white and grounding wires and tape them with electrical tape and leave them up above the fan within the ceiling cavity and wood above (3rd floor). Please advise as I want to be sure it is safe to do?

Thanks,
Andrew

drew242424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew242424 View Post
I am in the process of installing a bathroom exhaust fan in my 2nd floor of a 3 story home. There are two wiring connections (one for a light and one for the fan). I only need the one for the fan. Am I able to just put screws covers on the black, white and grounding wires and tape them with electrical tape and leave them up above the fan within the ceiling cavity and wood above (3rd floor). Please advise as I want to be sure it is safe to do?

Thanks,
Andrew
By screw covers I'm assuming you are referring to wire nuts. The fans I have put up have a little compartment to put the wire nuts and connections in.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Yes I meant wire nuts. The fan has a compartment to put the wires. The problem is the wire for the fan is longer in length than the wire for the light. In addition, the fan can only be placed in the cavity of the ceiling two ways. The one way will not allow the light wires to reach the compartment within the fan. If I place the fan the other way the wires will reach but the exhaust will not reach. What do you think?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #4

You will need to make the connection in an approved junction box, either inside the fan or by adding another box with cover and adding romex (conduit if required) between the box and fan housing
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
drew242424 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
You will need to make the connection in an approved junction box, either inside the fan or by adding another box with cover and adding romex (conduit if required) between the box and fan housing
What if I extend the length of the exhaust hose?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
How far are you planning on extending the hose? If only needing a fan, you may want to look at one of the remote blower units, vs a standard Nutron Fart fan.

This is what I am talking about http://www.pureairproducts.com/remot...ebathroomfans/

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Not sure how that would help with a wiring issue.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
In a little over my head

As stated, the loose connections need to be in a box. And the box has to be accessible. So you could install a box in the ceiling, one joist over and pull the wires into that, put a blank cover on it, on the ceiling. Not sure about the WAF on that one, though. If you extend the hose, and put a u-turn in it, I'd be afraid of lost efficiency and condensation.

Is there any way to get the unused wires up to suitable location for a box accessible from the third floor? That could be fun, having a switch in the 2nd floor head, controlling a lamp upstairs. ;^)

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, electrical, fan, wiring