Inside Water Consumption - General DIY Discussions - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Inside water consumption


The area just in front of the door has moss and the water may be leaking either thru (between) the door and the black rubber on the threshold.
Or the water is leaking between the threshold and the cement below the threshold.

There appears to be evidence that water is leaking at the hinge side of the door just above the black gasket.

Does this home have a basement or crawl space?

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Inside water consumption


Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
The area just in front of the door has moss and the water may be leaking either thru (between) the door and the black rubber on the threshold.
Or the water is leaking between the threshold and the cement below the threshold.

There appears to be evidence that water is leaking at the hinge side of the door just above the black gasket.

Does this home have a basement or crawl space?
No our home does not have a basement or crawl space.
David-N-Karee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Inside water consumption


Does the home sit in a low spot?

Does the ground around the house direct rain water towards the house?

You say that there are no gutters on the house. Where does the rain water go?

Do you have ponding in the yard?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Inside water consumption


Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Does the home sit in a low spot?

Does the ground around the house direct rain water towards the house?

You say that there are no gutters on the house. Where does the rain water go?

Do you have ponding in the yard?
Yes there is ponding in the yard. it's mostly away from the house. But water does collect a bit on the stoop. I posted pictures, don't know if you've seen them. I just pulled the carpet back and there is no cracks in the foundation but looking at the stoop from the patio in, it looks like water might be getting in that way. I also have a picture of the stoop, on page one of this thread. If you think it's getting in this way, what is the best product to seal it?
David-N-Karee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Inside water consumption


Ok, I think I've found the problem. See in the picture where the metal strip is. There is a gap under there. So I think the water is collecting on the concrete stoop and going under the metal strip. How can I seal that?
David-N-Karee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Inside water consumption


You could apply a bead of exterior caulk between the metal (threshold) and the concrete (the gap where the water is comng in) .

I would try and keep water from getting this close to the door. I cannot figure out where the water is coming from if this is a covered patio.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Inside water consumption


Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
You could apply a bead of exterior caulk between the metal (threshold) and the concrete (the gap where the water is comng in) .

I would try and keep water from getting this close to the door. I cannot figure out where the water is coming from if this is a covered patio.
Well we had tons and tons of rain, flooding in the area..etc. It was raining everywhich way. Plus if you look in our other pictures on the thread, there is one of the patio. Where it meets the house, it leaks there too. It drips down. Right in front of the door.
David-N-Karee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Inside water consumption


Quote:
Originally Posted by David-N-Karee View Post
Well we had tons and tons of rain, flooding in the area..etc.

That would explain the water leaking thru the door.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #24
Custom Cabinet Maker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netcong NJ
Posts: 1,097
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Inside water consumption


David; regardless of the source you should clean out the front edge of that door sill , get as much dirt out from underneath and really caulk that with high grade silicone adhesive/sealant. Leak look like it is comming in at center of the sill. Even if not this time' it certainly needs to be done.
JackM
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Inside water consumption


Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
David; regardless of the source you should clean out the front edge of that door sill , get as much dirt out from underneath and really caulk that with high grade silicone adhesive/sealant. Leak look like it is comming in at center of the sill. Even if not this time' it certainly needs to be done.
JackM
Thank you Jack, we have already done that!!

Advertisement

David-N-Karee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gravity Hot Water Recirculating Loop Questions harleysilo Plumbing 2 02-06-2007 03:28 PM
Water level in boiler system Barefoot Brian HVAC 3 10-19-2006 01:11 PM
Periodic release from (I think) the T&P valve on the water heater alexz Plumbing 3 08-15-2006 10:31 AM
help Chuckman Off Topic 8 06-15-2006 10:06 PM
Draining a hot water heater singforsupper Plumbing 1 06-07-2006 06:01 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts