Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Share |

Incorrectly installed shower enclosure by previous owner?

Ok, so my tub leaked (into neighbors condo, unfortunately). I determined that bad caulking was to blame for water leakage. I found something I find a little odd. So I am asking your opinions.

The tub has a 3 piece acrylic enclosure. The two side pieces rest inside the lip that surrounds the 3 outer edges. The long wall rests on top of the lip, not in it. A baseboard was fashioned out of acrylic and placed at the bottom of the wall and glued there. Is this a legit thing to do?

The old caulk failed and let water behind the baseboard and so water seeped out between the acrylic wall and the lip of the tub. I'm just a novice diy guy, but as I was stripping the old caulk the baseboard and placement of the acrylic onto the lip started to seem illegitimate to me.

Should I reinstall the enclosure?
Attached Thumbnails
Incorrectly installed shower enclosure by previous owner?-100_1258-640x480.jpg   Incorrectly installed shower enclosure by previous owner?-100_1262-640x480.jpg   Incorrectly installed shower enclosure by previous owner?-100_1261-640x480.jpg   Incorrectly installed shower enclosure by previous owner?-100_1259-640x480.jpg  

terrellthomas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Remove the surround. If you have all the parts, or you can get all the parts to install it correctly, do so.
If not, get another unit and install that one.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #3

The lip around the top of the tub is meant to keep water in the tub. That lip should be behind your wall covering. When you put back, your wall covering should over lap that lip, not be behind or on top of it. Think of it more as a flashing...
GB Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #4

Good to know that its supposed to overlap. Can I just have another piece cut just for that wall and adhere it to the old wall?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Yes, you could add another layer of drywall, but keep in mind, that the extra layer will have to continue to the other side of the wall.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

What I meant was: could I cut a new piece of acrylic to cover the old acrylic? 1-800-rebath style?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
General Contractor

If it were me, knowing it's been leaking.....I'd tear it out first to make sure you aren't just covering up molds/mildews and other water damage. Looks like that tub is either installed set off the studs or there isn't even sheetrock behind that acrylic for it to be fitting in on top of the flange like that.

dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote