Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 58
Share |
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


In one of my bathrooms I have a shower stall thats built between to partitions in the center of the bathroom. Typical stall about 6 feet high and drywall meets the plastic surround. The walls that meet the surround get wet from mist and general over spray and the water rolls down the wall to where the drywall meets the stall.

I feel its an excess amount of water and I just re caulked and repaired the area that got water logged, lol. The paint is a bathroom paint for moisture but I noticed some paint bubbling where the drywall meets the stall.

Is there anyway to better protect this area? The exhaust fan doesn't cut it. I even notice moisture on every wall from the steam. What can I do about this issue?

JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
1921 Sears&Robuc
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The other Buffalo!
Posts: 109
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
In one of my bathrooms I have a shower stall thats built between to partitions in the center of the bathroom. Typical stall about 6 feet high and drywall meets the plastic surround. The walls that meet the surround get wet from mist and general over spray and the water rolls down the wall to where the drywall meets the stall.

I feel its an excess amount of water and I just re caulked and repaired the area that got water logged, lol. The paint is a bathroom paint for moisture but I noticed some paint bubbling where the drywall meets the stall.

Is there anyway to better protect this area? The exhaust fan doesn't cut it. I even notice moisture on every wall from the steam. What can I do about this issue?

Take a cold shower, maybe? Nah just kidding, why not just go to your local superstore(hd, lws, mrds) and buy a section of the plastic wall sheeting and finish the wall to the ceiling with the plastic sheets?

This would require minumal amount of time for a pretty good do-it-yourself fix to the problem! This would require the surface to which you were going to adhere the material too, to be clean and free of moisture, and dirt and cut and glue the sheets into place. These sheets must over lay your current shower walls in order for the water/moisture to run down on to the existing surface, dont forget to caulk your seems especially in the corners!

Well i just spent 20 minutes looking for an example of whta i am talking about with the plastic sheets, but wasnt able to find them online at any of the superstore websites, but go to your local store, and in the paneling section(horizontally placed shelfes) their will be 4'X8' sheets of this plastic material it will come in a variety of colors and textures to better fit your application! The use of this product requires nothing mor ethen a tape measure, and a sharp razor knife, and a tube of caulk( if you dont have a caulk gun to get a sleeve of caulk) , and some sort of adhesive, many different typees of adhesives for different applications!
Good luck, just my .02 cents worth! Not worth much as you can tell!

__________________
My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 58
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Is this plastic clear? I will have to look into this, thanks for the reply.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
In one of my bathrooms I have a shower stall thats built between to partitions in the center of the bathroom. Typical stall about 6 feet high and drywall meets the plastic surround. The walls that meet the surround get wet from mist and general over spray and the water rolls down the wall to where the drywall meets the stall.

I feel its an excess amount of water and I just re caulked and repaired the area that got water logged, lol. The paint is a bathroom paint for moisture but I noticed some paint bubbling where the drywall meets the stall.

Is there anyway to better protect this area? The exhaust fan doesn't cut it. I even notice moisture on every wall from the steam. What can I do about this issue?
A bigger exhaust fan may be helpful. Don't use caulk, use 100% pure silicone. It comes in clear, white and other colors and is 100% waterproof.

Buy a gallon of Zinsser paint: This one:
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35

Or you can buy any of the Benjamin more primers and paints. Make sure to get all the old loose paint off before you repaint.

The high quality paints rarely bubble or crack and peel even with high humidity. I pratically turn my small upstairs bathroom into a steam room, (on purpose) and the paint is just fine, the walls and ceiling get covered in water. I do run the fan when I am done to help clear out some moisture.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Send a message via ICQ to flameup
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
A bigger exhaust fan may be helpful. Don't use caulk, use 100% pure silicone. It comes in clear, white and other colors and is 100% waterproof.
But in time that becomes dark (not white)
flameup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by flameup View Post
But in time that becomes dark (not white)
Thats when you clean it or apply a fresh coat of silicone if necessary.
The silicone itself doesn't discolor as far as I know. I believe it is all just dirt that gets on the surface of the silicone.
jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
1921 Sears&Robuc
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The other Buffalo!
Posts: 109
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
Is this plastic clear? I will have to look into this, thanks for the reply.
I miss spoke when i said it was plastic sheets, it is vynil sheets that comes in 4'X8' sheets, and could be cut to size the molded with the matching proper molding for the application, and sealed with silicone not caulking!(i must of been half a sleep when i told you to seal it with caulk sorry)No sorry it aint clear it is generally in white, but if you are going to repaint , and primer, and repaint again and again over and over again, then why not just spend the money to use the sheets I have spoken of to finish the shower surround to ceiling, or just tile it the rest of the way to the ceiling? Tiling it would be a very inexspensive project and something you could do yourself! Just done a quick tile search and you can pickup the tiles at your local store for as cheap as $0.14cents per tile! $1.26 per sqr ft' using the 4" white tiles! Or if you are a fancy person then you could get into the fancy tiles for up wards of $18 for 4" sqrs Just my .02 cents worth since that is about all i am worth anyways! hehehe
__________________
My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShadetree0222 View Post
I miss spoke when i said it was plastic sheets, it is vynil sheets that comes in 4'X8' sheets, and could be cut to size the molded with the matching proper molding for the application, and sealed with silicone not caulking!(i must of been half a sleep when i told you to seal it with caulk sorry)No sorry it aint clear it is generally in white, but if you are going to repaint , and primer, and repaint again and again over and over again, then why not just spend the money to use the sheets I have spoken of to finish the shower surround to ceiling, or just tile it the rest of the way to the ceiling? Tiling it would be a very inexspensive project and something you could do yourself! Just done a quick tile search and you can pickup the tiles at your local store for as cheap as $0.14cents per tile! $1.26 per sqr ft' using the 4" white tiles! Or if you are a fancy person then you could get into the fancy tiles for up wards of $18 for 4" sqrs Just my .02 cents worth since that is about all i am worth anyways! hehehe
HI

There is nothing wrong with your idea, all good suggestions. I just want to point out that quality paints applied properly will do well for many years even in a wet bathroom. I think paint gets a bad rap because people use some pretty horrible quality paints. If you really can't afford the good paints, watch the good hardware stores for missed tints. I have found a number of gallons of Benjamin Moore in nice colors for $5 a gallon....

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's
 
Blondesense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,133
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Not really a suggestion here, just an observation.

Our first house had a similar problem. There was a fairly obvious horizontal line two inches above the surround. Those two inches just above the surround "bubbled" but the rest up to the ceiling was fine. I always assumed the builder mis-measured and those few inches were done in drywall rather than greenboard.

Perhaps you have a similar situation.

.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-04-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 58
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Hey all, thanks for the replies. The caulk I used was silicone caulk specifically for areas prone to water. The paint I chose was Lowes Valspar brand which is their top brand that I have been happy with prior projects. I always felt Valspar was a decent paint. I've been watching the area closely and I'm not sure if the bubbling is from the paint not sticking to the caulk properly. I also thought the caulk/silicone was paintable too.

The whole reason this issue started is because I noticed the drywall getting saturated where it met with the shower surround. There was no caulk in that area. I applied those self adhesive tub strips that are supposed to seal the edges and corners...........BIG MISTAKE. They didn't stick properly and when I removed them they took the paint and spackling with them. So I patched the area with drywall mud re-painted and caulked. I'm thinking I shouldn't have used drywall mud?? Anyways............
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
Hey all, thanks for the replies. The caulk I used was silicone caulk specifically for areas prone to water. The paint I chose was Lowes Valspar brand which is their top brand that I have been happy with prior projects. I always felt Valspar was a decent paint. I've been watching the area closely and I'm not sure if the bubbling is from the paint not sticking to the caulk properly. I also thought the caulk/silicone was paintable too.

The whole reason this issue started is because I noticed the drywall getting saturated where it met with the shower surround. There was no caulk in that area. I applied those self adhesive tub strips that are supposed to seal the edges and corners...........BIG MISTAKE. They didn't stick properly and when I removed them they took the paint and spackling with them. So I patched the area with drywall mud re-painted and caulked. I'm thinking I shouldn't have used drywall mud?? Anyways............
Most caulk is paintable.

Silicone is NOT paintable. Sometimes you can get a bit of spray paint to stick to it, but it really is not considered paintable. Silicone comes in at least 6 colors now, you should just get the closest one or use clear:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=25

I am having a little trouble picturing exactly what is going on and what your describing, is there any way you can post a photo to show me these problem areas?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShadetree0222 View Post
Take a cold shower, maybe? Nah just kidding, why not just go to your local superstore(hd, lws, mrds) and buy a section of the plastic wall sheeting and finish the wall to the ceiling with the plastic sheets?

This would require minumal amount of time for a pretty good do-it-yourself fix to the problem! This would require the surface to which you were going to adhere the material too, to be clean and free of moisture, and dirt and cut and glue the sheets into place. These sheets must over lay your current shower walls in order for the water/moisture to run down on to the existing surface, dont forget to caulk your seems especially in the corners!

Well i just spent 20 minutes looking for an example of whta i am talking about with the plastic sheets, but wasnt able to find them online at any of the superstore websites, but go to your local store, and in the paneling section(horizontally placed shelfes) their will be 4'X8' sheets of this plastic material it will come in a variety of colors and textures to better fit your application! The use of this product requires nothing mor ethen a tape measure, and a sharp razor knife, and a tube of caulk( if you dont have a caulk gun to get a sleeve of caulk) , and some sort of adhesive, many different typees of adhesives for different applications!
Good luck, just my .02 cents worth! Not worth much as you can tell!

try this online store: www.decorplastics.com
they seems to have those plastic boards (planks)
AndrewY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Nia
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


I would 1st suggest checking a piece of the sheetrock to see if they used green board drywall.

Another suggestion would be to extend the tile in the shower further up the wall where it is getting wet. I recommend using hardi backer to prep the area 1st then install tile or drywall then paint and that should take care of the problem.

Nia
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: central Iowa
Posts: 143
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


I agree with Jamie. My bath ceiling was bubbly really bad all over. I had to re-texture then re-paint. I used Behr bathroom paint and have not had any trouble since and it gets very wet on the ceiling. Also I trimmed out my shower with mildew resistent (vinyl?) trim where the tub meets the tile walls. It's been great so far. Caulked with some clear 100% silicone.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,258
Default

I'm concerned about the moisture build up on the bathroom walls -Any advice?


From experience: a couple of questions first. When was the last time you removed your bath vent fan for a good cleaning? The moisture going over the blades blends with any dust creating a coating that interferes with air flow, much like an airplane wing with ice. When you do use the shower, do you turn the fan on a few minutes before the shower to start a good air flow, and more importantly do you leave the fan on for at least fifteen minutes after a shower to remove as much moisture as possible? On the same note. where does your bath vent actually vent to? Check the air flow the entire route. Is your home sealed up so tight that it won't vent? Maybe opening a window slightly while taking a shower will help, remember to close/latch it back. One of the nicest things I have found lately is a timed switch made by Mark Time (not an ad here), I have it in my house now that easily replaced the standard fan/light toggle switch. This switch allows the fan/light combo to be turned on, and then when you turn it to "OFF" the fan will continue to run for a pre-set time, set behind the wall plate, to remove adequate moisture to prevent build-up. Yes, you will have to split the fan/light combo wiring to do this. I have also had some luck with painting silicone caulk after spray painting it with the primer used for plastic outdoor furniture.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bathroom floor tile job advice needed dbrew Flooring 14 01-23-2007 07:03 PM
bathroom wall advice bigbrad123 General DIY Discussions 9 06-07-2006 07:26 AM
Need to Join some walls together. Need advice on a couple of things *Pics* J187 Building & Construction 4 05-20-2006 04:45 PM
Painting bathroom with lots of moisture? DK75 Painting 2 02-08-2006 12:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.