Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Identifying structures in a wall

I recently purchased a house and decided that I didn't like the thin would paneling that the previous owner had put on the walls. I figured that I would try to take out the paneling and put up drywall in its place. When I removed the paneling I was expecting to see a typical wall with studs every foot and a half or so. That was not to be. This room was an addition on to the front of the original house. The house was built around 1920 we think. Can someone help me to identify what I am looking at in the photos below.

jerseyguy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

A mess. This is why some homeowners should not be allowed to touch tools, or work on their own homes. I would go and find the previous home owner & smack them on the head.

And instead of the macro shot, can you stand further back, and take a wider angle shot. First recommendation when asking a question and posting pictures, is to give a wide angle shot, not a close up macro.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A mess. This is why some homeowners should not be allowed to touch tools, or work on their own homes. I would go and find the previous home owner & smack them on the head.

And instead of the macro shot, can you stand further back, and take a wider angle shot. First recommendation when asking a question and posting pictures, is to give a wide angle shot, not a close up macro.
I apologize. It is a small room and unfortunately that is as far back as I was able to get currently. I didn't take the paneling all the way off and was actually trying to sneak the photos into the wall while pulling the paneling out a bit. From your first comment I think you confirmed my worst fears. That this was a hatchet job done by someone that just wanted to throw the wall up with as little work as possible. I will try to pull the paneling completely off and then snap a picture of the naked wall this weekend.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #4

Looks like it was..... a window hole, patched in with studs cobbled to the cripples below and luan paneling installed outside. Hope it's a one story, but that even needs a header or full bearing studs.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #5

Yeah ....looks like my last house
I opened a wall in one room & there wasn't a single floor to ceiling 2x
Another wall had 2x's not even nailed in
A 3rd wall they left the old 2x6 porch railing & built a wall on top - the wall just bowed out to go around the 2x6
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Looks like it was..... a window hole, patched in with studs cobbled to the cripples below and luan paneling installed outside. Hope it's a one story, but that even needs a header or full bearing studs.
Be safe, Gary

A window hole. That makes perfect sense because that used to be the front of the house. It is a two story so I tried to shoot a picture straight up through the wall to get a look at how the second story is being supported but I couldn't get the shot at a good enough angle.

I feel confident fixing things that are cosmetic but this definately falls into the structural category. So should I be calling a contractor or a framer to come out and fix this?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Yeah ....looks like my last house
I opened a wall in one room & there wasn't a single floor to ceiling 2x
Another wall had 2x's not even nailed in
A 3rd wall they left the old 2x6 porch railing & built a wall on top - the wall just bowed out to go around the 2x6

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I hope I don't get too many more surprises.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #8

With a few more picture I could answer that. 1. Picture of outside of house aiming at that wall and addition.
It looks to be balloon framed seeing the studs go below the floor, is a second story above the addition? I'm looking for a header that should be just above the window hole. It may be covered from view by the paneling on the ceiling....is that a drop ceiling? Measure the ceilings at an interior door header- of room in question/of adjoining next room.
2. Picture of inside the addition aiming at the wall in question.
3. Outside, side or end view of the house, to see the addition roof bearing on the house roof.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
DIY staff

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote