Identify This House And Help Me With What To Do - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Identify this house and help me with what to do

Ok, here's the deal. I've owned this house for three years now and am finally ready to start doing some more work outside but have no idea where to start. The house has been remodeled multiple times over the years the most recent was a full gut to bare studs inside and out about ten years ago, and sadly any character the original house had has gone way to ugly siding. I'm needing help identifying the exact style of the house (examples of others this type maybe) the wing to the right was an add on done at unknown time but the thinking is the house was originally built in the 30's/40's. I'm asking for advice on affordable ways to change the exterior, paint ideas, etc. Yes there are 2 front doors, right one goes into living room and left one goes into an old bedroom (now my office as I run a business from home) Tired of pulling my hair out on this one and looking forward to your help!

FYI - House is located in South Central Texas if that makes a difference for ideas.

Advertisement

Last edited by korbyb; 09-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.
korbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Could you reduce the size of the picture?

Very few people will side scroll ---

Lots of good folks here to help.--Mike---

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

One quick suggestion for ya Korby. Shrink down any pics you post here, How to attach a photo to a post. It gets old pretty quick if one has to scroll back and forth just to read the text.

Good luck with the renos.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Sorry about the pic size, wasn't paying attention. Hope it works a bit better for everyone now!

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Thanks--We have several very experienced siders here along with a couple of designers and a couple of antique house lovers----Be patient---help will come---
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

I've lived in South Texas, and I've lived in Central Texas. That pic looks awful green for this time of year. Especially this year. Actually the reason we moved from Central Texas was our grass was brown and crunchy.

Are you interested in trying to keep your grass (and by that I mean keep it green) or would you be willing to go with some other option?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #7

I think I would like to keep my grass, but am also open to other options. I have tried to keep it as green as possible in the front, the back is another story though. Keeping front yard green at all has been making out to be $170 a month water bills and just can't imagine what it would be if I did the back yard. We just went into water restrictions though so don't expect it be green much longer.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

I'm not a gardener by any means. My philosophy is to keep my yard as low maintenance as possible so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

With water restrictions around the corner you might check into "Xeriscape" options and plants for your area.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Just a typical Bungalow.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

not much to paint with that front view... cut that tree down on the right,remove the lattes work on the porch railing and install PT vertical pieces spindles...and definitly ace that bedroom door make the LR the main one...if you can
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
not much to paint with that front view... cut that tree down on the right,remove the lattes work on the porch railing and install PT vertical pieces spindles...and definitly ace that bedroom door make the LR the main one...if you can
Probably was a rental some time back, why the add-on on the right side.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #12

Depending on your motivations and budget and overall goal of these projects I would consider this:

Full deck with rail on front of home wrapped around to the right side of the home and ending at the addition that jets out. Then add stairs at the addition area. This will give you a good template and architecture to start improving the curb appeal and landscape of the property. You will also reap the benefits of additional living space in the form of outdoor living space which conversely adds a larger value to your home than simply installing new tile in the bathroom or new windows as they currently look in good shape from street view.

Focus on things to add value if you are selling. So often I see home owners, bless their hearts, let their emotions run their decisions. After all, your home is often one of your biggest investments if not you most. Add tangible value not emotional comfort.
MC Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

and another idea... Build a surround for that utility head. Plant a native shrub and hide it
MC Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Handyman View Post
and another idea... Build a surround for that utility head. Plant a native shrub and hide it
Yeah, it does seem odd that they put the gas meter where someone could fly into it, and cause a problem. I would put four concrete filled posts, sunk about 3 feet in the ground around it, along with a couple of large boulders. As for the shrubs, the utility would still need to read it, so you do not want to make it completely blind.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yeah, it does seem odd that they put the gas meter where someone could fly into it, and cause a problem. I would put four concrete filled posts, sunk about 3 feet in the ground around it.

Just be sure to have the lines marked before you start digging post holes

Advertisement