Ideas Needed To Avoid Tripping Hazards - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 688

Ideas needed to avoid tripping hazards

I have a situation where I think poor design has lead to a tripping hazard.

Upon entering the front door, about five feet in, there is a step down about 5 inches. Then another eight feet there is another step down about 5 inches.

As you can see from the picture below, there is a stair case to the left, and the second step is several feet ahead of the bottom of this stair case.

There has been a few people (including myself) that has almost tripped on these two steps.

The first step is easy to trip if you are walking in the front door say with bags of groceries in both hands and not aware that there is a step about five feet in.

The second step is less of an issue if you make it past the first step and now you are aware of the second step ahead of you. However, the second step is an issue when you are descending from the stairs and it becomes the first step down after the stairs.

I have already evaluated the option of building up the floor to try to eliminate one or both steps, not possible, as both the landing and the bottom of the stair case meet elevations of other rooms or hallways, the problem will just be transformed to steps elsewhere.

Now I am looking for any ideas that would draw attention to the steps from both directions (stepping up and stepping down). One idea is to remove the row of tiles on the edges of the step and make them different.

Would appreciate any ideas or comments.

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 546

Safety yellow glow in the dark would work. Only kidding.
That was an odd way to have built this hallway.
Your idea would be better then nothing.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Obviously, options are limited. Have you considered a ramp 60" long? Code typically calls for a 1:12 slope, if I recall. Ramps may be important some day anyway; you never know.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #4

I would replace the whole leading edge tile with a differant color. Far easer to remove a whole tile, and would not leave one tile looking like it was cut short.
A ramp would not work because of the closits on the right side.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Obviously, options are limited. Have you considered a ramp 60" long? Code typically calls for a 1:12 slope, if I recall. Ramps may be important some day anyway; you never know.
If I do a ramp, all the rooms (bathroom, hallways, kitchen...) that this space passes would all have a "triangular" step. I am thinking this just makes it another hazard.

I have modified the picture to add annotations.

Last edited by miamicuse; 03-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Your right.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Another idea from a friend was to put really thick carpet from the entrance to the second step. This will not solve the problem but if tripped and fell, it will not hurt as much if fallen on carpet instead of stone tiles.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

ok on the ramps, at least at a 1:12 pitch. i could not see how far the dip was from the doors. yes, ramps in a doorway are a bad idea.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Crusty Old Dude

Rewards Points: 75

It is what it is, as they say. Other than razing the whole house and starting from scratch, you have little choice but to learn to live with a bad situation. Any fix at this point would be like putting a band aid on an arterial cut. Making the front edge of the step stand out is definitely a good idea. A few "Watch your step" signs strategically placed wouldn't hurt either. Also keep your homeowners liability paid up just in case.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

A different color tile is where I'd start. Another possibility, in addition to the "stripe' might be small LED can or puck lights mounted low on the wall (baseboard height). LEDs could be left on all the time.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 780

If it were me, I would cut back the tile the same length as the rise and put in oak, there and on the rise, stained to match the rest of the trim. Not fool proof but it would look ok and give a cue to those that were looking.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #12

The other idea I came up with is to tear up the area between step 1 and step 2, and retile it with a different tile. That would also provide a contrast on both sides of each step. However it would look a little odd.

Advertisement