Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas for keeping ipod "tape deck" closed.

I have an Altec Landing IM 7 iPod boombox. The front ipod holder has broken. It works just like a tape deck. You slide the ipod in and push it back into the boombox to make it flush. It no longer stays flush. I need ideas on how to keep it flush. It is going to have to be something external because the wires on the inside do not allow taking the mechanism off. You can see in one picture how I am holding it in with my hand. Velcro on the inside of the mechanism will not be strong enough to hold the springs from kicking it out.

PS: this thing is expensive, and I've already put a lot of time into it. I use it all the time and love it. Recently, some bad batteries exploded inside of it, wreaking havoc. I have since soldered some new battery springs onto the terminals, and repainted the outside of it. So it's worth fixing the deck instead of buying new. And I love doing this kind of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for keeping ipod "tape deck" closed.-photo-1.jpg   Ideas for keeping ipod "tape deck" closed.-photo-2.jpg   Ideas for keeping ipod "tape deck" closed.-photo-3.jpg  

hunterc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Mod

Send it in for repair or pre-drill a hole and put a small screw in it.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Send it in for repair or pre-drill a hole and put a small screw in it.
Repair will be too costly. With regard to a screw: the mechanism needs to be able to open and close without tools so that ipods can be exchanged in and out during a party or on the beach. I'm thinking of a latching mechanism, but can't think of where I could find small enough hardware for a simple and unobtrusive latch. I still want the thing to look nice.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Mod

Now you want it beach party proof.

A Swiss Army Knife in one of your pockets and a few extra screws in the other.

That’s the best I can do.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-21-2010 at 06:33 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

make it a taped deck.

Duct tape would work just fine.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #6

A small piece of Velcro.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #7

Whatever you do, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I have the exact same model and I have babied mine, and it is already toast.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterc4 View Post
Velcro on the inside of the mechanism will not be strong enough to hold the springs from kicking it out.
Ron, see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows
Whatever you do, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I have the exact same model and I have babied mine, and it is already toast.
What happened to yours? I have had mine for 3 years and it's still running strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
Duct tape would work just fine.
I'd like something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #9

I was thinking of something like the little things on the back of a picture frame that hold the glass and picture in the frame. Something I could slide/rotate over the deck after I push it in. Then when I want it to release I just rotate it back. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find hardware like that?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterc4 View Post

What happened to yours? I have had mine for 3 years and it's still running strong.

I was listening to it the other day and I heard a loud 'pop', and ever since the playback has been weird. If I keep the volume low it is alright, but anything above that and it is like the treble and bass are out of whack and cannot be set correctly, even with the remote. Spoken word tracks play strangely too, but not all the time. Mine is about 3 or 4 years old and I really have babied it. I have never even turned it up loud, save once or twice. Hopefully my experience isn't typical and yours will last.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I was listening to it the other day and I heard a loud 'pop', and ever since the playback has been weird. If I keep the volume low it is alright, but anything above that and it is like the treble and bass are out of whack and cannot be set correctly, even with the remote. Spoken word tracks play strangely too, but not all the time. Mine is about 3 or 4 years old and I really have babied it. I have never even turned it up loud, save once or twice. Hopefully my experience isn't typical and yours will last.
That stinks man. I blare mine a lot and haven't had any actual sound problems. It's gone through hell at the beach getting sand in it and having batteries explode in it. The only problem so far has been the front hatch not closing. I've become attached to it because I use it so much, and I think it sounds way better than any other one I've heard yet.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

How about some small NdFeB magnets. Maybe two on the door and two on the unit itself. I don't know how much open gap is acceptable so you would have to figure out how thick of a magnet you could use or maybe route a recess so a magnet could fit if so the door would close completely.

here are some with a 1/4 pound pull and are only 1/32" thick.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D201-N52

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
hunterc4 (11-24-2010)