Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas to enclose wires in garage?

I'm getting ready to have the garage re-stuccoed in a week or two. So, Im trying to clean up a few areas before that. This wiring situation needs a major cleanup, and I'm looking for suggestions on how I should do it. My first thought was to try and find a cabinet with a door and open back that would fit over this area. But, I'm either looking in the wrong places, or it doesn't exist. because I cant seem to find anyting.

The wires in the open area consist mostly of telephone wire, coax for cable tv and camera.

the two units outside of the wall opening are for the irrigation, and modem for thecomcast tv/phone/internet. i'm thinking of putting those two units above the opening in the wall with the wires, and trying to enclose those along with the wall opening.

the dimensions of the opening for the wires is 32"x15". If I were to put the irrigation controller & modem above the opening, I would probably extend the height of the enclosure another 2 feet.

Anyone have ideas on how I should go about this?

thanks

Last edited by bokeh; 10-09-2011 at 02:15 PM.
bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Too Old

Take a look at these they may be what you need.

http://www.bnproducts.com/boxes/semi...rior/index.php

I have used these types for years. I use the BN1100w on the exterior (nice to have the sprinkler timer on the exterior for access along with cable main line, phone line, landscape lights ect.)
On the interior I usually use BN14324wlv-idw to hold all the security and data lines.

bokeh (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #3

I'd sure get a cabinet and cut out the back. You can then get inside it and organize the wires, fastening boxes to the cabinet and running the cables under insulated staples (don't mash the staples in tight) or through plastic pipe hangers.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
Take a look at these they may be what you need.

http://www.bnproducts.com/boxes/semi...rior/index.php
This is exactly what I need. Thank You.

jklingel, thanks. I was thinking I might have to do something similar to what you were saying. buying a cabinet and hiding the opening in the back of it, I seen a black&decker cabnet at lowes today that I was considering. But Havalifes suggestion/link would work ideally.

Now I'm just wondering if I should mess with any of that wring and re-organize it, or just enclose it and call the job complete.

Last edited by bokeh; 10-10-2011 at 03:04 AM.
bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Too Old

I would set the box around 3' off the ground to the bottom of the box, add an outlet inside the box, then run all the wires inside the wall and mount them to the box so it is somewhat organized. It looks like you can get 95% of the wires and boxes inside the cabinet.

Tags
enclosure, garage, how to, wires