Ideas For Covering Wood Plank Walls - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas for covering wood plank walls

Hi guys, not even sure if plank walls are the right description. I've seen lots of howtos online about adding plank walls to a modern house, but my house was built in the 1940s all cowboy-style just out of wood planks. So my floors, ceilings and walls are all just thick wood planks.

We are in the process of remodeling the bathroom (well, fixing it up at least) and are kinda stuck with what to do. When we bought the house EVERYTHING was covered in really crappily done wallpaper. In the bathroom the top half of the walls were covered in wallpaper and the bottom half was covered in a tileboard (I think that's the correct term, looks like tile but is sort of a cardboard type material glued to the wall).

Well, we've stripped the top half of the walls and have painted them a nice bright yellow and we were just going to get some new tileboard and cover the bottom section with that....but I measured last night and realized that they had the tileboard going up to 50 inches over the baseboard. Modern tileboard only comes in 4x8 sheets from what I've seen so at 48 inches I'm left with two inches below the trim (where the painted wall and tileboard wall meets) with nothing covering it.

So since I likely will not be able to find an 50" tileboard what options does that leave me? I thought about doing a textured paint...but when the planks swell and contract with the temperature there will be big nasty cracks in the texture at the seams. I even thought about getting some linoleum and gluing that to the wall in place of tileboard....I'm out of ideas after that. I really, really don't feel like spending a week in there sanding down the lower parts of the wall to remove the glue from the previous tileboard installation, otherwise I'd just paint it yellow all the way down to the bottom.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

drmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,230

What sort of baseboard do you have? Mine are four inches wide. That would cover the two-inch gap.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

I've already got 4 inch baseboard.

Just tried scraping some of the black "crud" off of the wall and discovered that the glue seems to come off with a little diff...

Possibly thinking about removing all of the stuff and leaving the bottom of the walls in either light natural wood or staining to match the baseboards and floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for covering wood plank walls-img_6471.jpg   Ideas for covering wood plank walls-img_6473.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

As you're this far along in the bathroom...
look for "Kerdi" fabric to cover the walls then you can do tile
(or pretty much anything).

As for the rest of the house... I'd experiment with REMOVING the wood.
At that point regular sheet rock will go up neatly and you can add insulation too.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

remove the wood?? as far as I know people pay a LOT of money to have all of this wood...not only that I like knowing that the wood walls add to the structural strength whereas sheetrock doesn't....or am I just telling myself that it adds to the structural strength? it seems like it would.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 686

At least 99% of homes only have sheetrock on the inside walls all over the world.
I'd also get rid of that stuff, then you could rewire, add outlets, air seal, and insulate.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoreau View Post
remove the wood?? as far as I know people pay a LOT of money to have all of this wood...
You can probably find one of them to do the demo work for you.
Or at least buy the planks afterward.

Quote:
or am I just telling myself that...
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Try out Brown Planks w/ wood Grain Wallpaper. It will be easy and will look great.

Advertisement

henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote