Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Icicle at base of exterior light -- insulation problem?

We moved into this 4 year old home this summer, and just this past weekend I noticed that there was an icicle at the base of one of the exterior entrance lights. It looks as though the installer cut the vinyl siding too big and I can see gaps between the siding and the base of the light. Is the icicle an indication that there is water vapour escaping from my house (causing it to be drier than desired, and, lowering the energy efficiency of the house)??

What should I use to seal this, if indeed it is a problem?

Thanks.
Eric

curls00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Icicle at base of exterior light -- insulation problem?

"Is the icicle an indication that there is water vapour escaping from my house (causing it to be drier than desired, and, lowering the energy efficiency of the house)??"
Maybe water just got into the box. You should be able to install one of those vinyl blocks to mount the light, covering the enlarged opening.
When you do open the area, see if water is behind the siding.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote