Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
bsa_bob

Share |

I WEED WHIPPED my plastic siding!!!

Do you know what cement [glue] would glue new pieces of siding [patches]over the old shredded pieces.? It is a good idea if i can get the right adhesive. pvc glue ..of this nature. thank you bob s

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
DIY staff

Moved that for you------

Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #3

I can't suggest what to use for glue or patch material, but would have doubts of its' longevity, due to the amount of expansion and contraction of vinyl siding, and imagine that you could actually spend more time and money patching it than you might to simply replace the affected piece(s) and not have to worry about it again. If your home is more than a few years old, the siding has probably faded, so, personally, I would start at the local Restore or other second hand shop, to see if they might have a similar piece of siding, and if that didn't work, go to the local lumber yard or big box. Some lumber yards have bargain areas for odd lots, etc., where you might pick up a piece of siding pretty inexpensively. Once you find a piece that matches, your lumber yard or big box will also have a little hook that you can buy, which will allow you to reach up under the siding, to pull down the lower lip of the piece above, and disconnect it. From there, it's pretty obvious; pull the piece above out just enough to be able to remove the nails, drop the bad piece out, nail the new one in, and use the hook to help you reconnect them. If this happened to be on the front of the house, or other high visibility area, and the new piece doesn't match exactly, you may want to pop a piece off of a less noticable part of the house to use where the damaged piece was removed, and the new piece in the less visible area.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

How about the stuff they use for repairing cars. Don't they have some kind of fiberglass tape you can use? You might have to paint it but I would think it would be strong considering what it was designed for.
mommywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #5

Just replace the whole piece. It's about a 10 min. job and cost about $7.00.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just replace the whole piece. It's about a 10 min. job and cost about $7.00.
Price and labor aren't a factor. The problem being is; if i put some patch pieces on the bad spots. color is of no matter faded or etc. Iwill just "weed whip" the new piece to shreds[this is really hard to do stay away from the siding with the weed whip].I cut new patches awhile ago. This helped as it "thickened up the siding material"you know what i mean?Any other suggestions i'm listening .Glue will work if i can get the right kind ..i believe.I used self tapping screws.bob s
'
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #7

Post a picture of the area.

In the mean time just spray some total vegetation killer along that wall so there nothing to have to wack.

This is one of the many reasons it's again code now to install siding that close to grade.

One trick I've done several times is to remove the siding at the bottom of the wall, installed 1 X 6 vinyl lumber. a strip of Z moulding on top of that then J moulding and reinstall the siding.
This way all you will be wacking is the vinyl lumber.
If you take the time to figure out where to attach the vinyl lumber the siding will not need to be cut to width.

I had to do this to my rental house because the slab was pored at or below grade. It looks and works perfect.
Now I have to do it to a garage where I'm living, not only was the slab pored to low, they also did not use a pressure treated bottom plate or set the walls on a row of blocks above the slab. Now the bottom plates rotted and the sidings been hit with the wacker.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
bsa_bob

damage to close to ground i don't know whats under the bottom row of vinyl i was a plumber by trade. thanks bob
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
JOATMON

I think your going about it wrong.....

First off....that is too low to grade...I suspect that you may have water issues when it rains heavy.

Learn to control the weed whacker better....

Do some landscaping where you lower the grade a little and maybe move the grass away....maybe some type of material that does not need to be trimmed every week? Flower bed? Gravel?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
bsa_bob

Question

[quote=ddawg16;978932]I think your going about it wrong.....

First off....that is too low to grade...I suspect that you may have water issues when it rains heavy.

Learn to control the weed whacker better....

Do some landscaping where you lower the grade a little and maybe move the grass away....maybe some type of material that does not need to be trimmed every week? Flower bed? Gravel?[/quote

Yeah that third one is a given.No water issues, this is the shed garage looks like this too. I'm thinking now .....what you said before . Kill all the grass up close to said buildings.I still would like to cut pieces of vinyl and glue them on. so it looks better. thanks for hanging in on this problem bob s

ps whats vinyl lumber???????
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #11

Plastic lumber is plastic that comes in different sizes.
Azek is one brand http://www.azek.com/

Good advice above - Either landscape so no grass by shed or skirt the lower edge with something like Plastic lumber.
If you patch and keep the grass it will do it again.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #12

Bob, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but actually seeing it is even better, and I see that you're in Britton, so stop by Tecumseh Plywood and Lumber in Tecumseh, or Bridgewater Lumber in Saline; I'm confident that the guys at either one of those will be happy to show it to you. Once you see it, the reason that the guys recommended it will be very obvious. Take your pictures with you, and they can fix you up with the correct channels and moldings as well.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Bob, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but actually seeing it is even better, and I see that you're in Britton, so stop by Tecumseh Plywood and Lumber in Tecumseh, or Bridgewater Lumber in Saline; I'm confident that the guys at either one of those will be happy to show it to you. Once you see it, the reason that the guys recommended it will be very obvious. Take your pictures with you, and they can fix you up with the correct channels and moldings as well.

You must be a michigander dexter? I will do just that jp's always been very helpful over the years bob s

Also thanks for the tip mae-ling.you'er right its done this more than once, and at 68 i ain't as steady as i used to be bob s
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

That electrial line also was installed wrong. There should been an LB and PVC pipe to protect it.
It also looks like only a 14-3 romex. It should have been UF if it's direct ground bural.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #15

Good eye Joe

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote