Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

I want to remove a half wall that is held up by a single 4x4

I have vaulted ceilings in the living room kitchen and dining room and I want to remove a half wall that divides the kitchen from the living room. It has on 4x4 that goes to the ceiling on the end of the wall. I went in the crawlspace and there is no piling under that part although it does rest on a beam that runs parallel to the wall I want to remove. My feeling is the post is there purely to hold the wall from warbling since it does not connect to the ceiling except for the 4x4. Is it safe to say that this post isn't needed as load bearing. There is not another post in the identical location on the other span of the vault in the living room. I have included two pics that I hope will help. Thanks for the help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
I want to remove a half wall that is held up by a single 4x4-dit-post2.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-04-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Rotated picture
Tccriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Doubt that is a single 4x4. It is most likely a Jack stud there. the problem is, it could be there for support. Really need a wider shot showing that whole area, from one wall to the other, facing straight on that wall, not at an angle, as you did.

Also, is this a manufactured home (ie double wide), or just a regular home. BTW, your picture is sideways.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Sorry about the pic being upside down. I can figure out how to fix that. I have another pic I will add. The identical span from the main beam in the middle to the living room has no post like that at all.
Attached Thumbnails
I want to remove a half wall that is held up by a single 4x4-diy-post3.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-04-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Rotated pictures
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #4

Maybe this pic will be right side up.
Attached Thumbnails
I want to remove a half wall that is held up by a single 4x4-image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Here is the first one correctly angled.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Again, need you to stand back facing that wall, and take a picture showing the whole view, as if everyone seeing this post, would see if they entered your place.

All you are showing is just a small portion of the space, not from the wall at the left, to the wall on the right that happens to be in the picture. Also again, is this a Manufactured home (ie Double wide)?

If all that is there for, is to keep you from seeing the fridge; probably has electrical coming down that section going up to the ceiling, unless you can also post a picture facing the back of the fridge, showing what is along that area in the Kitchen; then I would say no problem getting rid of it. but really need to see what the space looks like, from that wall facing the other direction, and from the other direction, facing that wall, showing the walls on the left & right.

Really need more then the same picture three times. Need to know what your intentions are once you remove that wall, and also as asked, is this a manufactured home, and a nice wide angled shot, showing the whole room, facing both directions.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-03-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #7

Really sorry about the confusion. Here is another pic like you asked coming in from our front door. It is a single family detached ranch home, not a manufactured home. The electrical comes through from the garage panel along that wall the tv is on and stops at the "L" shape end. I am going to make a fridge cabinet and push into the living room a bit and then extend out a 6ft kitchen island from that using the existing electrical route in the back of the cabinets to be installed. I am prepared for the flooring issues like the current hardwood and where it currently meets the tile floor. This is our best option at this time to gain some valuable counter and cabinet space.

Thanks again for your help,
Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #8

For the love of god with these pics. I am usually really good at this stuff. Haha
Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Looks like it was just meant to be as a room divider to me. I say take it out. But I would still make sure that no electrical comes down that column first.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
JOATMON

Vaulted ceiling....so, besides no way of getting up there to look....I agree that it is not really any type of load bearing wall. As Greg mentioned...you 'might' have electrical in there...I would gently pull off any drywall on that column before cutting it....

And I can see why you want to take it out. Doing so will really make that room look bigger.....neighbors on both sides of me took down walls between the kitchen and living room....big difference....

I guess you could say its the 'in thing' now to have the kitchen more open and exposed...we are going to be doing it soon....it actually sort of brings the family a bit more together since who ever is preparing the food can talk to the rest of the family.

That spot begs for a breakfast bar......once you figure out where your going to put the fridge.....

What does the door on the other side of that wall go to?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

The door on the other side goes to the garage. We are thinking of this summer getting a door that swings out from the inside to add more room. I am thinking there is no electrical for that column but not sure. There is a switch for the ceiling light in the dining room that is on the wall by the sliding glass door and the living room wall to the hallway probably carries the other lines into the attic space about the rooms and hallway. I am thinking I will undo the outlet that the fridge plugs into on the L shape end and see if the electrical stops there or continues on to the ceiling.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Take down Drywall, by cutting with a knife, so that it keeps dust down, remove the sections as you go, to find out how the electric runs. You can then take down the wood, by cutting at the joints, so you can save it for another project.

Really hate it, when you have people destroy good lumber and toss it in the dumpster, when you can use it for stuff like Cripples, or even to build shelves or a workbench out in the garage.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #13

When I framed a similar plan (8 times), we used a 4x4 post rather than studs to the ceiling, back when lumber was reasonably priced. Just to hold the wing-wall plumb. I would be surprised if you find wiring in that column... check with your stud finder for AC. Trace from the outlet/switch.

Check locally with AHJ on swinging the garage door into the garage; may require a landing if height difference from house....

Gary
Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate all your input. I will use all of your suggestions in some way. I am doubtful that there will be electrical issues in the post because of the layout of the outlets and switches that control the kitchen dining and living electrical needs.