Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

I want a pool like this, what would you think it should cost ?

I posted a simple picture of a pool I want at

What do you think that should cost me ?

Last edited by joasis; 06-25-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

I hope you're kidding. There are about 25-50 questions you need to answer BEFORE anyone can give you a real estimate.
This is a DIY site, not really a "what's it going to cost" site. I suggest you start getting local estimates and go from there.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

I just need to get a ruff estimate to see if I can even entertain putting it in and where I can save by DIY.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would guess over well over 200k, A simple gunite pool around here is over 30k, might as well double that after your fence and electrical is done, still need landscaping etc, etc, etc...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

I would say the DIY portions would be filling it with a hose and buying patio furniture. That's a HUGE project that multiple professionals will need to be involved.
As long as they're free, why not get a few estimates?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I would say the DIY portions would be filling it with a hose and buying patio furniture. That's a HUGE project that multiple professionals will need to be involved.
As long as they're free, why not get a few estimates?

I post stuff on that website because I want the contractors that really want to do the job to find me and contact me with what they can offer me.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good contractors don't wait on websites for leads on potential jobs. Fly-by-night guys do. Good contractors get 99% of their business by word of mouth and reputation alone.

You're going at this all wrong. You should be researching them and seeking them out, not vice-versa. You should contact a number of pool builders in your area and ask for three references for each. Some of those references should involve jobs that required warranty (after completion) work, and you should stipulate this in your request for references. Contact those references and arrange to visit their pools to look at the work. Ask direct questions about the builder, don't take his word for it. Check with the city to see the public records on some of his past projects...See how smoothly his inspections went, or how many problems he had (permit records are public, and you should be able to view anything you want). Check with the BBB as well. Check online court records to see how many times the owner of the company has had court cases or judgements against him.

Builders that come to you looking for work should raise suspicion from the first contact in my opinion. The good guys are perpetually busy. They also cost more.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Good contractors don't wait on websites for leads on potential jobs. Fly-by-night guys do. Good contractors get 99% of their business by word of mouth and reputation alone.

You're going at this all wrong. You should be researching them and seeking them out, not vice-versa. You should contact a number of pool builders in your area and ask for three references for each. Some of those references should involve jobs that required warranty (after completion) work, and you should stipulate this in your request for references. Contact those references and arrange to visit their pools to look at the work. Ask direct questions about the builder, don't take his word for it. Check with the city to see the public records on some of his past projects...See how smoothly his inspections went, or how many problems he had (permit records are public, and you should be able to view anything you want). Check with the BBB as well. Check online court records to see how many times the owner of the company has had court cases or judgements against him.

Builders that come to you looking for work should raise suspicion from the first contact in my opinion. The good guys are perpetually busy. They also cost more.

I am the one with the job and I feel like the person that wants my business, will fight for it ! If going to and doing a 1 min search for business it too much to ask then maybe I don't want to work with someone thats not willing to put in the work at the start.

Like you said, "The good guys are perpetually busy. They also cost more." Too busy for me and I am not going to beg for someone to "fit me in when it's convenient for them". And why shouldn't they be competitively priced ?

Plus, they can make me a postaneed profile on the work they can do and their references, maybe to make it a little more convenient for the customer ?

Last edited by joasis; 06-25-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastil View Post
I am the one with the job and I feel like the person that wants my business, will fight for it ! If going to and doing a 1 min search for business it too much to ask then maybe I don't want to work with someone thats not willing to put in the work at the start.

Like you said, "The good guys are perpetually busy. They also cost more." Too busy for me and I am not going to beg for someone to "fit me in when it's convenient for them". And why shouldn't they be competitively priced ?

Plus, they can make me a postaneed profile on the work they can do and their references, maybe to make it a little more convenient for the customer ?
You have a lot to learn grasshopper...

Last edited by joasis; 06-25-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

I do nothing all day but run up and down the net looking for work!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 564

Gastil, you are very naive. Be careful with an investment of this scope.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

We've given you very sound advice, which is in your best interest. If you don't want to follow it, good luck to you.

There are lots of hack contractors floating around on craigslist that would probably give you a very competitive price on a pool.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

They're "going to fight for it"?????!?!!??!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Did you guys follow that link? Do see where he's located? Westlake Village , CA

Hey, Gastil, go over to the pool/spa section of GardenWeb. Ask your question there and see what the response is. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/
Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #14

I REALLY appreciate everyones concerns but I still haven't hear WHY I shouldn't have the most willing contractor come to me to solicit my business.

Trust me when I say I am not going to hire the first person that contacts me but if someone does contact me off my ad on postaneed then it shows me a lot of character that this person is a hard worker from the start.

I will always, no matter what I post on that website, ask:

1. For references.
2. Past jobs that I can see.
3. Contact their insurance company.
4. Make sure they are licensed.

But I still feel that I am the best judge of character.

I would still also really appreciate if someone can give me a ruff estimate, from experience, what a job like this, should cost me.

Or you know what... What if I was to just put in a custom spa 6X6 ?

Last edited by joasis; 06-25-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 564

It is "DIY Chatroom", not "Price Check Chatroom".

Only someone local to you, and who actually saw your site could give you a +/- 50% wild ass guess.

Closed Thread