Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

I need some help with caulking odors..?

Hey guys, I have been having a problem with cold air seeping up into my bedroom, so I got an idea I thought would work out nice.
The problem is, my house is old and since my carpet is worn out, there is about a quarter inch space between the carpet and molding on the wall where my beds headboard is at (this is where the draft comes up through) so I decided to caulk the space to fix the problem. I laid down about a 6 ft. bead of silicon caulk on the bottom of the wall, about a half hour later it started to stink as it does, so I opened the windows up and put my fan on. A bit later, I noticed my bedsheets closest to the wall I caulked had taken on a fresh caulk odor. My question is, will this smell go away? meaning will it stay in the bedsheets, or clothes in my room/closet? No caulk had gotten on the sheet BTW, it is just the odor coming up the headboard and making my sheets stink. Also, being that I have both windows open for ventilation will I be alright sleeping in my room tonight? Thanks guys. I was just wondering if maybe some of you have experience with home improvement work & you might know a bit more than I do on this. Thanks again. Also* This might not be the correct way to use caulking, but when it comes to home improvement I am not Tim "the toolman" Taylor. Thank you everyone.

NOSaints90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

the caulk will continue to release the acetic acid odor until it cures fully. Generally it is not a health hazard. I suspect from the amount of caulk you used, it isn't in your case.

Especially if you have windows open for ventilation, I would not think it a problem.

It is simply a nuisance. It will likely be noticeable for a couple weeks but will depend on how thick the caulk is. The thicker it is, the longer it takes to cure and as such, the longer the smell will linger.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #3

That type of caulking is one of the worst smelling. As said, after it cures... For the rest, try some backer rod - a poly compressible rope stuffed into the crack first. Or just alone, without caulking. If you just filled it up, it will separate later, just a matter of when. You have a floor and wall that expand and contract differently, they will break the bond: pp.35---- http://books.google.com/books?id=XHA...0break&f=false

Gary