I Need Help With Kitchen Cabinets Trying To Take Off Stain - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need help with kitchen cabinets trying to take off stain

I'm new to this and we are trying to strip the stain off the kitchen cabinets and we are in over are head ..
What do we use and how to get it off the cabinets. My husband has tried everything... Please help us Fast....

Thanks
Robyn

Advertisement

swishersweet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Some kitchen cabinets have a finish that is pretty much impervious to any chemical strippers.I ran across this in my last home and had to resort to sanding everything down and using paint for the new finish because it seemed impossible to remove all the old stain.
Oil based finishes work best in a kitchen and a good primer or stain killer should be used to prevent the old finish from bleeding through.

Advertisement

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you absolutely must strip this stain, bring all the pieces to a furniture stripper or a strip shop and have them "dipped"
Don't even consider this as a DIY project

Its horrifyingly time consuming, labor intensive, horribly messy, unbelievably stinky and harsh on the lungs and mucous membranes, and the leftover goo is toxic waste (yay toxic waste! )
Now the good news is after all that, there's pretty much no way you will actually get all the stain off, and you will have to mechanically remove whats left
-oh wait, that's not really good news unless you have a variety of sanders and a nice spot to spend a few days sanding them outside somewhere....oh wait...they also have to be solid wood and not a laminate or sanding is not even an option

And of course all of this is way easier if they are removed anyway....so you might as well drop them off some place and pick them up when they are stripped

Are you sure you need to strip these?
You could paint them with slightly less mess/work/expense
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote