Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |

I need help - Epoxy over foam board

I am trying to build a cooler. The plan is to use foam board (foamular 150) for the walls, then coat it with epoxy.

Sounds easy, but I am having a hell of a time finding an epoxy that actually sticks to the side. I could just coat the panels laying down, then silicone, but if there is a way to do this without seems I'd like to use it.

I'm thinking maybe to try Budget Bob's epoxy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-SOLIDS-E...item3a653baa38

I've been using Smooth-On epoxy, which isn't really for coatings - it's actually designed for model making, but it works AWESOME - it's just really runny, like painting with water (low viscosity makes sense when you are trying to fill-in detailed molds).

I also tried Styrospray, but it's off-white, and I don't really want to have to epoxy, then paint (plus paint won't last as long)

Anyone know a good product for this? $200 is a lot of money to try something.

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
DIY staff

Are you adding fiberglass cloth first ?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Are you adding fiberglass cloth first ?
Nope - the board is ridged and screwed to 2x4's, and the epoxy holds good to the board after it dries.

I'm going to try using fumed silica, which I guess is like a powder you add to epoxy to make it thicker. It seems like a minor problem, but how can you paint a thick coat of something when it just runs off?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Why not just buy a cooler?
Your using all the wrong stuff and wasting time and money.
Go one the West System web site for the info you need.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I am trying to build a cooler...
Gotta ask... why?
and what sort of dimensions?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Go one the West System web site for the info you need.
I've been there, geared towards boaters and everything seems damned expensive. Their price for epoxy is about the highest I've seen, and they sell fumed silica for about three times what it is on ebay.

Do you know how to build a cooler? They are generally just sheet metal over a wood / foam frame. Doesn't even make sense to say the 'wrong stuff', seeing as how all you are doing is making an insulated wall (the epoxy is just for looks / cleanability / durability)
Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... Good epoxy ain't cheap,... I get mine from Larry at raka.com...
Mixin' additives too, cabosil is the trade name for silica...
A little bit, thickens the fluid, alot creates a putty...

Unless yer willin' to paint it, epoxy will Rot from UV sunlight...

And lastly, Resins, without fiber have virtually No strength...
Ya need a layer of Glass...

Last edited by Bondo; 01-25-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

4X8 fiberglass panels that they use in food service enviroments are not that expensive and they are by design easy to keep clean. Big box stores used to carry them too. Maybe they still do. I have seen them used in walk in coolers too.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
4X8 fiberglass panels that they use in food service enviroments are not that expensive and they are by design easy to keep clean. Big box stores used to carry them too. Maybe they still do. I have seen them used in walk in coolers too.
Are you talking about the real thin ones? They end up being as expensive as epoxy, and you still end up with seems. Might as well just pour the epoxy over the foam board and let it dry, rather than having to cut fiberglass panel, then try and attach it.

I'm really hoping this fumed silica works to thicken the epoxy I have -- otherwise I'll probably have to use silicone =/
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Unless yer willin' to paint it, epoxy will Rot from UV sunlight...
It's for the inside of an indoor cooler, but yeah, I've heard epoxy doesn't hold up well to UV. That said, they use it for pool decks and swimming pools, so I'd think it would last for a few years?

Still not quite sure the difference between epoxy, epoxy paint, floor epoxy, fiberglass resin, urethane, solvent / water based, 100% solids, ect. I think they take basically the same substance and add a couple different additives to make it behave differently, but it sucks because you almost have to buy some to know whether or not it will work for your application.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You may need something applied to the surface that bonds well enough to the XPS foam and then coat it with an epoxy.

A few years ago we had a 4'x4'x8' hollow concrete block made out of XPS foam. A carpenter glues together sheets of the XPS, formed the radiuses and smoothed the seams. It was painted with a latex textured paint and then covered with a gray epoxy that had some sand mixed in for a texture. We used it for displays and a centerpiece for several years and it had many, many miles on it not to mention moving it and out of convention facilities. - It was fun to throw around an 8' long foam concrete block, but it held up well.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
You may need something applied to the surface that bonds well enough to the XPS foam and then coat it with an epoxy.

A few years ago we had a 4'x4'x8' hollow concrete block made out of XPS foam. A carpenter glues together sheets of the XPS, formed the radiuses and smoothed the seams. It was painted with a latex textured paint and then covered with a gray epoxy that had some sand mixed in for a texture. We used it for displays and a centerpiece for several years and it had many, many miles on it not to mention moving it and out of convention facilities. - It was fun to throw around an 8' long foam concrete block, but it held up well.

Dick
Glad to hear it held up. I think that there are a lot of great products that people don't use either because they cost a little more, are tricky to learn, or just because you can't walk into home depot and buy them.

To be fair, the XPS board is flammable, and I don't really like how Owens Corning shows using it to wrap an entire basement.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #13

I've used this: http://www.demandproducts.com/eifs-i...?=&sku=GROUPLR on foam shapes with good results. Never tried it for something like a cooler,tho.

Gary
garyoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

Use thin PVC board instead and connect ends with 5200 to make it water tight.

CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote