Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #1

Share |

I messed up a stud-mounted loudspeaker mount - suggestions appreciated

I am mounting 17-pound loudspeaker on Pinpoint AM40 wall mounts (http://pinpointmounts.com/am40). Each mounting bracket has 4 mounting points that are aligned top to bottom, with small horizontal offsets.

Bracket #1 went in no problem - hit the stud all four holes, put in the wood screws, everything's solid. On bracket #2, the bottom three holes hit the stud, but on the top hole I felt the drillbit punch through the drywall into a void. So I got a paperclip and stuck it in there, and sure enough there was clear air.

No problem; I planned to mount these mounts with 3/16" x 3" toggle bolts if need be (they have to go in a certain spot, regardless of stud location), so I popped on a 5/8" spade bit to drill a hole for the toggle bolt.

Problem is, I drilled into wood. Not a portion of the hole, either - the entire thing. Not sure what was up with the clear air I detected (maybe a small hole from a defect in the wood?), but now I have a problem. Toggle bolts wings don't flip out inside wood, and a small wood screw sure as hell won't grab into a 5/8" hole.

The top screw of this mount is critical because it will be in tension the most. Any ideas what I should do now to remedy my mess?
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #2

How deep did you drill the hole? Can't you use a longer wood screw and still get enough bite in the wood?
rodneydnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #3

The hole is probably about 1 inch into the wood. I suppose a much longer screw would do the trick.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

if i am understanding your issue. glue a dowl into the hole, let it dry. then redrill.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
In a little over my head

Fix'n it beat me to it. Normally, we'd just suggest hammering a couple toothpicks into the hole. That would be a lot of toothpicks. A chunk of dowel, or a plug cut out of a 1x with a hole saw. The plug would give you cross-grain, instead of end grain with the dowel, and you wouldn't have 35" of dowel left over.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

Inserted a dowel this afternoon. Hole was deeper than I thought (about two inches of wood). Don't know what I was thinking drilling that far...

I don't have a hole saw, but against all odds a family member had about 16 inches of 11/16" dowell in the scrap collection. I bet I couldn't find that dimension if I tried. A few minutes with the dremel and a sanding disk and a 2" length fit in the hole. Wood glue is curing now.

Thanks for the advice.