Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I messed up the finish on my countertop

It is a Lippert (synthetic marble?) vanity countertop. The solid surface cleaner/polish removed the luster. how do I get the gloss back?

equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

My guess would be that solvents in the cleaner/polish dissolved the synthetic material the vanity is made of.

Scrub aggressively with a dry cloth towel to ensure that the problem isn't just residue left behind by the cleaner/polish.

If scrubbing with a cloth doesn't help, then my advice would be to put a hard acrylic film over the counter top. For example, Flecto makes an acrylic product that crosslinks to form a film hard enough to stand up on a floor:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=66

You don't need to know the rest:

The reason why your counter top will look glossy when it's wet is because of "Fresnel's Law". Fresnel's Law says that the amount of light reflected from an interface will be proportional to the ratio of the difference in refractive indices across that interface over the sum of the refractive indices all squared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

Despite the fact that both a clear acrylic finish and air are both transparent, the fact that the acrylic finish is a solid while air is a gas means that the acrylic finish is gonna have a refractive index much closer to other solids, like the solid synthetic marble of your vanity.

Thus, according to Fresnel's law, if you coat your vanity with a clear film, then MUCH more of the light reflected from that surface will be at the air/film boundary and much less of it will be at the film/marble boundary.

And, that's simply because you'll have a much greater difference in the refractive index at the air/film boundary than the film/marble boundary. Thus, the difference in refractive indices across the air/film boundary will be large, making the amount of light reflected from that interface large. Similarily, the difference in refractive indices at the film/marble boundary will be small, making the amount of light reflected from that interface small. Since you see the light reflected from the vanity, you will "see" a smooth surface on that vanity.

So, while others would have told you to put a clear coating over your vanity, now you know why a clear coating on the vanity will restore it's smooth, glossy appearance.

Yep, I'm not too busy today.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-13-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Isn't that a bit like putting a faux finish on a walnut tabletop? I don't know how they achieve the shine (sheen?) of a new countertop, but I didn't think they laid it on with a brush or gun, in spite of Physics101. And won't it wear off over a time?
Not trying to be antagonistic, but it seems like there should be a more lasting way; not that I have a clue what that might be.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Mine was just a suggestion, and the poster knows that. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-13-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox View Post
It is a Lippert (synthetic marble?) vanity countertop. The solid surface cleaner/polish removed the luster. how do I get the gloss back?
Contact the manufacturer for a remedy.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote