I Bought A Shed That Was Never Delivered. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree34Likes

Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,060

I bought a shed that was never delivered.

In May, I bought a shed from Morgan Buildings. The down payment was around $1700. They told me 4-6 weeks from that day, and I would have the shed. After 8 weeks, I started calling them asking for updates. I got all kinds of excuses from lack of employees, to problems at the factory.

At the end of June, they called me and said that they had my shed materials on their lot and wanted to schedule a day to build it. We scheduled a day. Two days before that day, they called to reschedule. We have been rescheduling for every Monday since July. They always call to reschedule right before it's supposed to be built. This shed build has been rescheduled more than 5 times already. They were scheduled to build it this coming Monday, and I just got a call saying that they can't do it because they have to move an office building in North Houston and want to reschedule for sometime in September.

The contract that I signed has tiny print on the back that says that they don't give refunds. I didn't think it was a big deal as long as I got my shed, but I never got the shed I paid for. Being that they never delivered, does that mean that they broke their own contract? Is this grounds for a refund?

When I originally paid the down payment for the shed, the salesman called the order in to another office. Minutes later, I received a Paypal invoice in my email and paid for it right there through my phone.

Seeing as I signed a contact which states no refunds, what would happen if I opened a dispute through Paypal claiming that the purchased items were never delivered?

Advertisement

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 480

Re: I bought a shed that was never delivered.

I assume you contract has an anticipated delivery date, which has long passed. I would put the dispute in with Pay Pal. They will refund your money if you don't want the shed, or at least get the vendor to give you a firm date
lenaitch likes this.

Advertisement

ZTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZTMAN For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
HDS

Rewards Points: 204

They haven't delivered, paypal should help get your money back.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDS For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (08-27-2016)

Old 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 272

I would try the pay pal route as well. But I hate to tell you I think there's a time clause and you may be too late. Make a complaint through the attorney general.
Msradell likes this.
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,453

They can put whatever they want in the contract, but that doesn't mean it's enforceable or good business practice. I'd just call and ask for a refund. Tell them you are no longer interested in the shed.
Msradell likes this.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 236

did you get permit ? if so, call the BI and see if this company is deadbeat. in my town, any contractor has to have a licence to legally work here. a revocation threat may get you good results.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,424

Is this a franchise business.

If so call the Corporate office in the BIG CITY , with a complaint.

Do not give up. PERSISTENCE is your friend.

ED
dd57chevy likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (09-02-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 696

Just because the contract says no refunds does not mean they can jerk you around endlessly. No judge would take their side after you explain what they have done.

You may want to give them an ultimatum first, that way you have covered all of your bases. Tell them you have waited an unreasonable amount of time. Give them a week or two to take care of it, then yank back the payment.

Lastly you may want to check with Paypal on their terms and make sure it hasn't been too long to pull back the money.
r0ckstarr (09-02-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Progress.
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a shed that was never delivered.-1473189966991.jpg  
gma2rjc, Fix'n it and de-nagorg like this.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

I looked in Paypal. I couldn't find any way to dispute it. I think I waited too long. I had to work a lot of hours and decided to give them one more chance and see if they show up on the day they promised. Surprisingly, they did! I was amazed. I worked last night and stayed awake when I got home just so I wouldn't miss the opportunity.

The guy gets here with all of the materials on the trailer and asks for the final check. I told him, no. That's not what I was told. When I signed the contract, the guy at the office told me that I give you the check when the job is done and I am satisfied with the building. He says "Oh yeah, well let's call him up", and he did. Of course, the office guy takes his coworkers side even though I know what I heard. I told them that I wasn't trying to cause any trouble and maybe I heard wrong. We agreed that once I gave them the check, that they wouldn't leave until the building was complete. I went inside and wrote out the check and came back out. They immediately got started.

They finished about an hour and a half ago, and the builder guy calls me up and says "Hey man, it looks like you got your way with the check. You didn't sign it!".

It wasn't intentional. I haven't wrote a check in over a year and I am running off of zero sleep. I tried to explain, but he acted like he didn't believe me. I told him that I will be there first thing in the morning when they open to sign it, and that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. I honestly forgot that I had to sign it. He said "no later than 8:30" and hung up before I could say anything else.

When I go in to sign it in the morning, my opening line is going to be "It took you 4 months to build it, surely you can wait 16hrs for me to sign the check" lol.

But, it's finally complete.
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a shed that was never delivered.-img_20160906_155409.jpg  

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 09-06-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 678

I'm glad it worked out for you. The shed looks good and very sturdy.

It probably wasn't your fault that the check didn't get signed, it's more likely that karma can take credit for it. Heck, after the way they treated you, you should call them at 8:30am and tell them you're running a little late. At 9:00, call and tell them you had to run back home to get an ink pen. At 10:00, call again - tell them you need directions to their office. Call at 11:00.... 11:15.... finally show up at 12:15, when the office is closed for lunch and leave a note on the door for them, "Sorry I missed you. I'll be back tomorrow morning, between 8:00 and 12:00. P.S. HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?"

Nah, they'd probably show up at your house at 8:31am to repossess the shed if you don't have that check in their hands by 8:30.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,048

I think if it were me I'd call some tomorrow afternoon and say "Something came up and I couldn't make. I promise I be there next week."

Do that for a couple weeks.
gma2rjc, r0ckstarr and de-nagorg like this.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,278

Actually, business 101 says, he should have looked at the check to verify date, amount, and signature. The fact that he went ahead and assembled the shed without a signature was his mistake.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 266

For future use: Paypal has a 90-day window for disputing charges. Past 90 days, you're alone...
r0ckstarr likes this.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanuk For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 254

Call and reschedule your meeting for tomorrow! :-)

Now that your building is complete, I guess there is no need to contact one of the local news stations to get them involved when things don't get done. I think all three stations have a consumer advocate type reporter. That might have got the ball rolling!
r0ckstarr likes this.

Advertisement

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote