HVAC Issue - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HVAC Issue

Hi everyone, I have a question about my HVAC unit (residential) that I am pretty sure I have the answer to but want feedback from a professional before possibly fixing or calling someone. About 3 years ago I had a 2.5 ton Payne unit installed in my townhouse. It is a heat pump unit with an electric heat strip backup (10kw). It has been popping my breaker when I try to use Aux Heat/Emergency Heat after about 2 minutes. I see it as one of two things, possible loose connection at the electric heat strip or the contractor wired my entire unit (air handler and condenser) into the one 50 AMP breaker (I have two breakers for my old unit both are 50 AMP, one designated for AC and the other for Heater). It will run fine when I have it on the standard heat and I don't set up the thermostat with a program to change the temperature throughout the day. But if I try to set it up with a program to lower the heat during the day when we are not home, it pops the breaker. I came home Friday to a 60 degree house and I tried to get the heat back up to 72 but had to keep going out to the breaker (which was never "hot to the touch"). Does it sound like it is one of these two things? I figure i would give it a look before calling someone if I can't handle it.

Advertisement

mikeb4205 is offline   Reply With Quote