Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

Hurricane Sandy surge extremes

8' waves at high tide that night here was my outside damage from bulk head and 4 X 4s floating by from my neighbors house taking the energy across the 2 lane street.my insurance gave me $2500 home coverage on that post replacement. I have full home and flood 25yrs in the place. my neighbors place with bulk head docking into the bay ...100' away my door to his door...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

the new year looking out from my property across the street the hurricane came into us from behind those houses heading west

Last edited by biggles; 04-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

taken April 13th 2013.... guy on the right has flood/home... guy on the left only FEMA flood ... getting his $31k "good luck" money (no loan) from FEMA with a new hurricane roof from March 2012 ,and both homes have been condemned....
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

That building shown is really totaled, but is still standing anyway.

In the big picture, it was good thing it was not Katrina. In MS the storm surge in living areas was much greater than the the flooding in NO. It was 28' high on the MS coast and everything was gone (including many footings and slabs). The receeding surge was as bad as the incoming surge because it carried a few mile worth of debris (cars, houses, trees, etc.).

I never saw so many $1,000,000+ lots for sale.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

same here on out going tides 10,000lb boats banging up against homes pilings thru windows ...gas meters snapping off shooting gas up thru 4' of water for days.county sewer lines got a good flush when the water level hit the house vent pipes mounted on the foundations on the incoming lines.during the hurricane I was taking water out of my tube and dumpng it into the TB ...DAH! talking to FEMA in the following months a guy said people down in New Orleans were still waiting on claims to build homes...unbelievable...shore line home owner I talked to at an intervention group meeting was told he has to raise his home 18' to meet new rezone maps for insurance consideration.lifting of house around here is running from $30K up thru $150K
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you buy a grandfathered home on an unbuildable site you have to restore/remodel the old structure and any new one will have to meet the new building codes and height requirements if you expect to get a permit, let alone financing and insurance.

I remember some homes in VA that were described as "ocean front" now or at some time in the future, but no one could or would buy insurance.

Everyone says location, location, etc. when the are selling, but you are just buying problems that were not recognized years ago when feeble permits (if any) were given. There are no guarantees when it comes to Mother Nature or "Acts of God"- Has anyone ever sued and won?

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote