Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HUGE bills!

Our gas and water bills have always been very steady. Right around $90. Last june, we noticed a considerable increase. Jumped to $124. Figured we were using more gas because of our new gas bbq. Then in July, jumped to $225. Called them, they said it was just us using more water for our yard (we only water on the designated days for 15-20 min.). Then in August it shot way up, $398. I saw that and almost passed out. It goes from about $90, to $398?! So I get on the phone, tell them I want them to replace my gas and water meters. It's free to replace so I figured maybe that was the problem. After we switched it, we got the next bill, It almost doubled! $670. There is no way we could ever use that much power for the size of our house. Small house. 3 bedroom 2 bath. I get a buddy to come over, he's a proffesional electrician, installs electrical in gas stations. He get's all his tools out. Says we should only be paying about $100 max. He got on the phone to the city, asked why they are charging us $670. Well the next bill came. $107. They never once apoligized to us, reimberced us, always said it was our problem. It's mind boggling how much they can charge. It just goes to show, it's not what you know, it's who you know, and what they know.

Any other story's about high bills?

McGaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #2

HUGE bills!

I'm sorry, but I don't follow this at all. I see generalities, but little explanation in this post. What did this guy find that the gas and water company found so compelling that they just reduced the monthly bill on his phone call?
In my local, the gas company have nothing to do with the water supplier. The water reading occur twice a year. Both the gas and water are metered. Did you check the readings to make sure they were correct? Did you compare usage to previous years? The cost per therm has risen substantially from last year, so while usage might have remained the same cost will have risen.
I'd be interested to hear the specifics.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

HUGE bills!

McGaw,
Maybe you should write a letter to the: City, Mayors Office, etc.
Maybe you should even consult a laywer? Who's to say that others may be experiencing the same as you, but have not said anything. What about the poor old lady on a fixed income?

We bought a house in Dec. 07. During the re-appraisal, it was discovered that there was a discrepancy on the actual property size. The area was overstated by about 60% on the property tax bill.
The current property owner (at the time) had been overpaying on their taxes for 20 years.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
When is fishing season?

HUGE bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
McGaw,
Maybe you should write a letter to the: City, Mayors Office, etc.
Maybe you should even consult a laywer? Who's to say that others may be experiencing the same as you, but have not said anything. What about the poor old lady on a fixed income?

We bought a house in Dec. 07. During the re-appraisal, it was discovered that there was a discrepancy on the actual property size. The area was overstated by about 60% on the property tax bill.
The current property owner (at the time) had been overpaying on their taxes for 20 years.
What happens in a situation like that? The reason I ask is that we just found out that we are taxed on LESS land than we actually have. The actual property is 1.32 acres, as measured by (I can't remember what he is called, but his job is to measure plots of land). We are taxed on .56 acres. At one time before we bought the house, it was 2 seperate lots. Our deed shows the full 1.3 acres. We just realized this a few months ago when we got our Jan tax bill and it had gone up a little, so we read over every word to see if it said why. Usually we just look at the amount and write a check (it's always been the same till this last bill went up by about $150).

What could happen if the town/county finds out about this?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

HUGE bills!

Contact your local town offices and get your property re-assessed. Let them figure it out. You may owe for the back taxes.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Handyman/ Snow Removal

HUGE bills!

Ron,
Our gas and water bills come as one. Not to sure if they matched. Never went out and looked . Not to sure what the guy was using but when he called, he talked to the guy in charge of everything. Got it sorted out.

Atlantic. That's a good point. I'm not sure if they would care though, as it's been almost a year. I think I'm also going to have our propert re-assesed. See if we're being overcharged.
McGaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #7

HUGE bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGaw View Post
Ron,
Our gas and water bills come as one. Not to sure if they matched. Never went out and looked . Not to sure what the guy was using but when he called, he talked to the guy in charge of everything. Got it sorted out.

Atlantic. That's a good point. I'm not sure if they would care though, as it's been almost a year. I think I'm also going to have our propert re-assesed. See if we're being overcharged.

surprised you weren't curious why they changed it, and why you didn't pursue a reimbursement.
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Fixer-'til-broker

HUGE bills!

When I was renting I had a similar issue. I wanted the reader to come to my door when he/she came to explain to me and to make sure they were actually reading it correctly. They usually peek over the wall with a scope and I figured if the meter had any kind of mud on it or whatever that they just guessed.

Sure enough, after not hearing from the reader for a couple of cycles, I blocked the meter. I did it so as to not get a fine, like "oops, how did that get there?" I got another outrageous bill, bigger than the previous month, in the middle of summer when we used NO gas, and pretty much the same electric. It turns out they were slacking, and the other side of the duplex was feeding off our utilities. There wasn't much we could do, but our bills were a sheeetload and a half less from then on! The next reader almost got murdered when the wife was out in the laundry closet in her bathrobe and he had jumped the wall to make sure he was reading the numbers right.