Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #1

Share |

How to weatherproof indoor wood furniture

Hi, my name is Rachel and would like some advice on weatherproofing my kitchen table to sit outside on my back patio. After reading online, it looks like I'm supposed to sand (or chemically treat) the table and chairs, then apply some Spar Varnish diluted and in several applications. (dilute for easier, more even application) I'm also going to use furniture sliders to raise my furniture a little in efforts to avoid contact to wet ground. I'm starting on this project tomorrow.. Any advice

rgriffin473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

You may not succeed because most indoor furniture is made of products that fall apart when wet---particle board with glued on veneers

Joints glues with water soluble glue and things like that---

Your Spar varnish is the product designed for out door use---so you might have the surface taken care of.

rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Marine finishes like spar varnish or even special urethanes or epoxies can help seal surfaces. Furniture, especially that left outside, needs to breathe though and sealing it can actually keep it from doing so and shorten its life.

As Oh'Mike mentions the challenge is also going to be whether the adhesive and materials the table is made of can take the outdoor conditions including temp and humidity changes over a 24 hour period on a regular basis.

Are you planning to leave the table outside or do you just want to be able to use it now and then? Is it expendable?

You might be better off putting the money you will spend trying to seal it into buying something more specifically suited to outdoor use if it is a keeper. Right now the liquidation sites should be getting rid of nice sets at end of season prices. I saw a beautiful teak set the other day for a great price.

On the other hand, if the table has outlived its indoor usefulness and you don't mind if it fails in but a season or two? Go for it I guess. If it is real wood your other option is to pull it apart and use a suitable exterior glue. This still will not change how a hardwood or pine table is going to react to outdoor conditions. If it is veneered particle board, you are sunk almost instantly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Wow! Thanks for the input.. I didn't think of all that :o/ The thing is that we moved into a smaller home and don't need the 2nd dining table so wanted to use it on the patio. Otherwise, it's just sitting in the garage... Maybe I should just sell it and like you said, invest in an outdoor set. Is there a Web link to the place you were referring to? Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

That looks like a decent table and the chairs look nicely constructed. You should get a few bucks for them on CL or eBay regional. If you were close enough I might take them off your hands.

I honestly do not remember where I saw the teak set I mentioned. I know I had been searching for RTA (Ready to Assemble) teak sets a while back but it may have come to my attention in a daily FAB posting. You might search for RTA in more general outdoor furniture terms as well.

Do take a look at places like Overstock and even Amazon for outdoor furniture. Keep an eye on shipping charges of course. Smith & Hawkins has nice stuff and your local, real, furniture stores may have higher end quality outdoor furniture. If they have not already cleared it out of the way, Sears, KMart, Target, Big Lots etc. should be making deep cuts to their outdoor furniture about now.

Teak, even on sale, will cost you but you will have to do little to maintain it and it should last a lifetime. Some of the higher end synthetic wicker looks promising too.

Good luck! By the way, at some point you might want to update your profile with general geographic info so we know where you are. It is sometimes important in providing answers or suggestions.

Last edited by user1007; 09-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-05-2012), rgriffin473 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Can't really tell from pic, but looks like table rails and top are veneered particle board or similar. Not gonna withstand outdoors, no matter how you treat it.
Laudable to want to use it instead of having it sit around ( where its just gonna be in way). Don't expect big bucks by selling it, maybe 1/4 what you paid if that. Consider donating it, our local "Battered Women" shelter always looking for tables and chairs for relocated families. Some charities are more liberal in pricing for tax write offs than others.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
That looks like a decent table and the chairs look nicely constructed. You should get a few bucks for them on CL or eBay regional. If you were close enough I might take them off your hands.

I honestly do not remember where I saw the teak set I mentioned. I know I had been searching for RTA (Ready to Assemble) teak sets a while back but it may have come to my attention in a daily FAB posting. You might search for RTA in more general outdoor furniture terms as well.

Do take a look at places like Overstock and even Amazon for outdoor furniture. Keep an eye on shipping charges of course. Smith & Hawkins has nice stuff and your local, real, furniture stores may have higher end quality outdoor furniture. If they have not already cleared it out of the way, Sears, KMart, Target, Big Lots etc. should be making deep cuts to their outdoor furniture about now.

Teak, even on sale, will cost you but you will have to do little to maintain it and it should last a lifetime. Some of the higher end synthetic wicker looks promising too.

Good luck! By the way, at some point you might want to update your profile with general geographic info so we know where you are. It is sometimes important in providing answers or suggestions.
I'm new to this but well like to update my profile. I figured out how to update my photo but not location or anything. I'm doing everything from my app on my phone.. Do I need to do it on my desktop?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Here is a nice teak chair.
Attached Thumbnails
How to weatherproof indoor wood furniture-dustinnchair.jpg  

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

They're beautiful!! What kind is the ones that your standing by.. They almost look like trees??
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Newbie Bill

That isn't me, I'm better looking.

It is teak root. Apparently teak is getting harder to come by and they have discovered if they go back and dig up the roots from the old harvested teak trees, they can turn them into amazing pieces.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012), user1007 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgriffin473 View Post
I'm new to this but well like to update my profile. I figured out how to update my photo but not location or anything. I'm doing everything from my app on my phone.. Do I need to do it on my desktop?
Not sure. I know their are some things I cannot do with the mobile app so you may have to make changes from home.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #12

Nice!! I'm in Tomball, tx... Not sure if this helps with my location. I can't figure out where to put this in my profile.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgriffin473 View Post
Nice!! I'm in Tomball, tx... Not sure if this helps with my location. I can't figure out where to put this in my profile.
top of page, click, used cp, click user details, down near bottom of page is where to enter user location
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Bombastic Idiot

Rachel, even your solid wood chairs are not going to withstand the humidity down there, even if they are raised off the ground, and are you sure you want to raise it even an inch above your dizzying elevation of 150 ft above sea level?. The glue is gonna let go and the hardware is gonna rust. And then ya got your Formosan termites wanderin around . Even some real outdoor furniture has a hard time of it in Harassed County. It seems you were really trying to repurpose unused furniture instead of advice on outdoor furniture, but if you do want some and budget allows, look into locally grown bayou cypress. Not as pricey as teak (few woods are), wood not imported very local for you, even local furniture makers, very nice and rich looking, withstands outdoors great. And if you go out to the bayous to get it from some small workshop builder, you might see several examples of indoor furniture bein used outdoors; sofas on the porch, car seats in the yard, a pot of gumbo on kitchen range out back, meat smokers made from refrigerators, crawdads in a bathub in shade of an ancient cypress.
BTW folks, if you aint from around here, Rachel lives in Tomball, not tomble or tombull.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
JOATMON

I'm a little late to the party...but as everyone has said, your table and chairs will not last outside. Additionally, they look too nice to subject to that kind of treatment.

I do woodworking as a hobby.....getting wood to survive outside is a real challenge

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
rgriffin473 (09-13-2012)