Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Share |

How upset should I be?

Probably not the best the first post but here goes. I am having a modular home built and joined the forum to get some ideas for when I do the unfinished portions of the house. The contractor is putting on one deck, about 6' X 20'. The sub that he normally uses for this has started the deck and the pics show what I have a problem with. I am curious though, is this just the way things are done now? I left him a messeage at his office yesterday and have not recieved a call back yet. I will probably never think 40 nails where there should be 10 is acceptable but should I just move past this? The cigarette butts and ashes we found in the living room I will not tolerate, but to me both things display a general lack of proffessionaism.

This is the deck from a distance, I did not think it needed 6X6 posts or the header board underneath but I don't build decks for a living either.

MorganGladeWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

How upset should I be?

Not even legal to build a deck that way around here.
Our code calls for cutting into the sides of the 6 X 6's 1-1/2 and through bolting with 1/2 carrage bolts.
Attaching just to the sides even on a one story deck is a no no.

Can not tell by the picture, but is that deck going to be a minimum of 4" below any door openings.
Those deck boards need to over hang the rim joist not be cut flush to the edge.

Did they even flash the ledger board and water proof that wall?

Last edited by joecaption; 05-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
MorganGladeWV (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

How upset should I be?

I don't build decks for a living either, but FWIW...the nails are probably just somebody getting in a hurry with a nail gun. Don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.

Anything that high needs 6x6 posts, IMO...but again, I'm no expert.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jproffer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

How upset should I be?

unexceptable, I would have used simpson strong ties products on the deck then blast it with that many nails. I would fire the contractor for smoking in my home.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Our code calls for cutting into the sides of the 6 X 6's 1-1/2 and through bolting with 1/2 carrage bolts.

Can not tell by the picture, but is that deck going to be a minimum of 4" below any door openings.
And that's why I don't build decks for a living, lol. It makes sense now that I read it.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Lord of Slums

How upset should I be?

Nails are compatible with pt lumber? I hired a "contractor too do some work in an empty home I owned. I told him two times their is no smoking in the house. So he was in my bathroom and I heard the flick of his lighter, I kicked the door off the hinges, grabbed that guy by the back of his neck and through him out the front door, followed by his tools. Man did that ever piss me off. Total lack of respect.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Mod

How upset should I be?

Do you have a picture of how it's attached to the house?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

How upset should I be?

Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot speak to your code requirements as I do not know where you are located.

Per the 2009 International Residential Code (which is the code in my area, and basis for many building codes in other parts of the country) the following is required:

R502.6 Bearing. The ends of each joist, beam or girder shall have not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete except where supported on a 1-inch-by-4-inch (25.4 mm by 102 mm) ribbon strip and nailed to the adjacent stud or by the use of approved joist hangers.

I do not see where you have proper bearing as required by the prescriptive code. In my area the building official would require either prescriptive requirements be met, or a review and approval of the alternative construction by a professional engineer.

I'd call your local building department and inquire from them if this is in compliance with your local code.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Did they even flash the ledger board and water proof that wall?
They did flash the board attached to the house, and it is secured with lag bolts but does not have a ledger board. I believe it is 4" below the door. When I walked up and saw the air nailer work I thought it looked terrible. When I looked at it a second time I thought maybe I overreacted the first time so I was trying to get some perspective. Finding ciggarette butts and ashes on the window seat is another matter.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Jack of all - master none

How upset should I be?

Are they using proper nails? From the picture, it's hard for me to see, but they look small. Are they construction nails or little finishing nails being used improperly?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #11

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot speak to your code requirements as I do not know where you are located.

Per the 2009 International Residential Code (which is the code in my area, and basis for many building codes in other parts of the country) the following is required:

R502.6 Bearing. The ends of each joist, beam or girder shall have not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete except where supported on a 1-inch-by-4-inch (25.4 mm by 102 mm) ribbon strip and nailed to the adjacent stud or by the use of approved joist hangers.

I do not see where you have proper bearing as required by the prescriptive code. In my area the building official would require either prescriptive requirements be met, or a review and approval of the alternative construction by a professional engineer.

I'd call your local building department and inquire from them if this is in compliance with your local code.

Good luck!
The home is being built in Preston county WV, building permits NOT required. Maybe I should be glad it's as solid as it is. The nail work to me looks unprofessional, or maybe adolescent. I guess I thought I would see 4 or 5 nails evenly spaced. The message I left for him was that if the subs did that to stairs inside the house I was going to Morgantown and get a lawyer. I was ready to back off until the smoking issue, maybe the nail work is just how things are done today. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Are they using proper nails? From the picture, it's hard for me to see, but they look small. Are they construction nails or little finishing nails being used improperly?
I assume they are deck nails, I guess it could be worse.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Do you have a picture of how it's attached to the house?
No I do not, It is a treated board lagged and nailed with flashing behind it. No ledger board though. Lot good replies so far and I learned some things already. I guess there are more important issues than the corners looking a pallet or a shipping crate.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Haverhill Trade 1965

How upset should I be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
It's not too many because they probably used 8d nails. (times 12 isn't that 6 16d??) I would want to see what they were before you even walk on it.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
JOATMON

How upset should I be?

A perfect example of why building codes exist.

Regular nails in PT wood are going to get eaten up in no time

Side nailing like that has little shear strength. The issue is not the strength of the nail, but rather the wood. The wood will give before the nail does, that is why you have to have a post under it...not nailed to it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post: