Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Share |

How to tell gasoline from kerosene?

I did, or may have done, a pretty stupid thing.

Last year I sold my kerosene heat and all my kerosene.

I had a kerosene can. My recollection is that I needed a can for gasoline and put gasoline in the kerosene can. But it was 6 months ago and I could be wrong.

The upshot is that I have a can that has either kerosene or gasoline in it, and I am not sure which. How do I tell them apart?

What would the consequences be of putting a half gallon of kerosene in a car's tank along with 15 gallons of gasoline? No, I haven't done that, but if I decide it is gasoline, that might happen.

---------------
Since posting I did a little googling.
I put some from both in little white cups.
The gasoline looks yellower than the unknown.
The gasoline has little odor, while the unknown smells like burnt garlic.
The gasoline feels maybe a little thinner than the unknown, but neither felt particularly oily.

Is that enough to definitively call it (and sell it) as kerosene?
One source said they affected paper differently, but I didn't see a difference there.

Last edited by Toller; 04-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
JOATMON

smell.....pretty obvious.....

also....kerosene will have a slightly oily feel to it.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Not so new

Couple ways. One is smell...gas smells like gas and kero smells more like diesel fuel. Second is feel...kero has an oily feel to it. Third is flammability...put a thimble full of it in a can and throw a match in it. Gas ignites immediately and kero wont lite before the the match goes out. Theres color too...gas has a yellow tinge to it and kero I think is red. Could be wrong on the color of kero but I think it was red last time I bought it.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Smell, texture (feel) and color. If you have ever been out at a airport, you will find out very quickly, that all they burn in airplanes for the engines & apu's, is Kerosene.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Smell, texture (feel) and color. If you have ever been out at a airport, you will find out very quickly, that all they burn in airplanes for the engines & apu's, is Kerosene.
Ayuh,.... Only in Jet engines,....

Prop planes burn AVGas,... Which is Hi-octane Gasoline...

I agree with the above posts, Smell is the test I use...

'n, No, a gallon of kerosene in 15 gallons of gasoline, won't hurt the motor...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
registered

Smell kerosine has a oily smell.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

My wife says they both smell like gasoline to her.
I tossed matches in both and both caught. Kerosene is supposed to put the match out.
I guess they are both gasoline.

Maybe one has stabilizer in it and the other doesn't, which causes the difference in color and the what I smell. I donno.

Right now I have two small cups out in the wind and sun; gasoline is supposed to evaporate and kerosene is supposed to just sit there. We will see if there is a difference.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
JOATMON

put some on your fingers....if it evaporates quickly....gas....if it stays....not gas

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
My wife says they both smell like gasoline to her.
I tossed matches in both and both caught. Kerosene is supposed to put the match out.
I guess they are both gasoline.

Maybe one has stabilizer in it and the other doesn't, which causes the difference in color and the what I smell. I donno.

Right now I have two small cups out in the wind and sun; gasoline is supposed to evaporate and kerosene is supposed to just sit there. We will see if there is a difference.
You dont need cups to do this, just a drop of each and you should be able to see it happen pretty quickly or not.

In DIY fashion, I would like to suggest that you send both to a lab in order to be certain, and make sure you get a permit!!!
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (04-21-2013), Nailbags (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

What the heck put it in your car and forget about it that small an amount you will never know the diff.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

Just a FYI when I was young I found out you can run Diesel in a gas engine not gas in a diesel. Kerosene is a step above diesel. and it would not hurt your car But don't make it a habit
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Thumbs up

Maybe it's just me on a lazy sunday afternoon is sunny SoCal. I'm sipping on a Firestone Brown Ale and finding this entire thread very funny to read... twice!
Great post!

InspectorZo
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorZo View Post
Maybe it's just me on a lazy sunday afternoon is sunny SoCal. I'm sipping on a Firestone Brown Ale and finding this entire thread very funny to read... twice!
Great post!

InspectorZo
I am pretty sure it is just you. But I am certainly glad you are amused.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toller For This Useful Post:
InspectorZo (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #14

In my opinion you've done a wise thing by asking. As mentioned a half gallon of kerosine in your car probably won't hurt anything. As a matter of fact with the price of it your car should be honored.

For future reference for you and others in doubt on matters of this nature your fire department is usually a very good reference and glad to assist.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Just a FYI when I was young I found out you can run Diesel in a gas engine not gas in a diesel. Kerosene is a step above diesel. and it would not hurt your car But don't make it a habit
It depending on the mixure level between the gazoline and diesel fuel for each type of engines.

For Diesel engines : they can run pretty good batch of gazoline with diesel fuel but it will run like crap and loose alot of power plus hevey knocking and a hint ., harder starting as well.

But burn staight gazoline useally don't work very well due super hard to start and it will run super rough.

For Gazoline engine : they can burn diesel fuel again depending on the fuel mixure if very little diesel or kenorsne it don't bother too much on carburated motours but fuel injection some case it will not affect too much but for some it will just clog up the nozzle(s)

But run staight diesel fuel on gazoline motour useally kill it most of the time unless you have very high carbon on the pistion then it will run like convental diesel engine until you manually shut the fuel source off or choke the air supply ( they can get much hotter than gazoline and can melt the pistion )

Now in State side I know most common Kenornse useally are either dyed or undyed depending on where ya get it from and it will feel oily feel on it and it will stay " wet " longer than gazoline will be and gazoline will make your skin feel more dryer after it dry up.

Merci,
Marc