Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Caution! Girl working

Share |

How to stop water coming up through a garage floor

Hello everyone! I live in Connecticut in my current house for about 3 years. Every year half of my garage floor is very damp. If it rains, a 1" or so deep puddle about the size of a small SUV develops and just sits there. I've been able to determine that the water is coming up from under the garage floor.

The floor was painted by a prior owner many years ago but most of that paint is gone now. I'd like to seal the garage floor come fall when it dries out. I have a great power washer and scrub brush so is a good cleaning / removal of any old paint, grease, etc. enough preparation work? I've had several productss recommended, such as Thoro-Seal and similar, but I'm only going to get one chance at this and want to do it right with a product that can hold up to cars coming in and out. Any suggestions?

ADaniLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
DIY staff

You might be better off finding a way to get the water out from under the slab---is there any way to add a perimeter drain and run that out to daylight?

Any surface membrane might well get pushed up by the hydrolic pressure from under the slab----

Post a picture of the outside of your garage and the grade of the land---perhaps a proper solution can be found.---Mike----

Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

I can not imagine 1" of water coming up through the slab. Are you sure it is coming up through the slab and not running in from outside? You need to deal with getting the water out from under the slab instead of trying to seal it there.
oh'mike (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Caution! Girl working

I'm pretty certain it's coming up from underneath. Two good friends who were excellent home builders in their days have given it a thorough look and they both said the same thing. Maybe an inch is an exageration - I should measure the next time it rains lol! I will have to post a photo over the weekend.
ADaniLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

For water to come from under your slab would mean that the ground water is raising due to the rain. For this to happen, the water must be collecting up grade and flowing to this area. I have seen home that were landscaped around the permitter of the house thus deflecting the runoff water from the roof to the foundation. If this is happening then you need to regrade the site to get the water away from the foundation.

Another cause could be vapor drive. If the garage is conditioned or is much cooler than the outside, a dew point could be created above the floor slab thus causing the moisture. This problem could be fixed by venting the space.

Sealing the surface will do little to nothing. As said before, the hydrostatic pressure will create a problem after awhile.
SCengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Tp find out where the water is coming from. Dig a hole outside of your house next to the garage. Find out where the groundwater is before it rains. Cover the hole so no rain water or runoff gets into the hole. When you see the water in the garage check and see if the hole is full. If the hole is full then the water is coming from below the slab.

SCengineer is offline   Reply With Quote