Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

How to secure a bookshelf without using screws or nails?

Hey everybody,

New to the forum but believe me I am glad to be here and will probably be full of questions in the time to come. I have a problem I'd like to discuss and would be glad to get some input.

I recently bought a tall thin bookshelf (six feet tall by twelve inches wide) and I want to secure it to a wall in my kitchen.

Unfortunately the wall is little more than under an inch of dry wall over a metal heating vent (or duct). I didn't know this until I tried drilling a spot for a screw (there's a metal plate that extends from the top of the shelf with a hole in it) and the hole opened up too wide and not nearly deep enough. I could use one of those winged things you attach to the end of screws to spring open once on the other side but I I am not willing to drill a hole through that heating vent and have gas or whatever escape.

What's more the shelf doesn't really touch the wall since the molding at the bottom near the floor is very thick and I'm not allowed to remove it. So I double screwed a piece of long wood to that top metal plate. Now, can I glue that piece of wood to my kitchen wall with anything to secure this bookshelf? I don't think wood glue will do it. I think I might be able to do this down along the sides of the shelf, too. I can attach wood to the back of the bookshelf, but can I securely attach the wood to the wall without screws?

Aside from the weight of the bookshelf this thing won't weigh much as it will only hold some cookbooks and magazines.

It is really the only place I can place this shelf so please don't tell me to move it somewhere else.

samdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
the Musigician

That's easy.... Construction adhesive and the cost of your security deposit if you're renting.....

DM

Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

the anchor, or just a sheet metal screw, will seal the hole in the duct good enough
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Thanks!
Yeah, if it were my place I'd drill through the heating duct. I think I'll use the adhesive. Is it a tape or a glue? Is it better for adhering wood to wall or metal to wall?

I lost my deposit loooong ago.
samdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
the Musigician

I use PL Construction Adhesive, but Liquid Nails will do just fine.

DM
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
GDV

Hey Samdi,

I agree with using PL Construction adhesive. I've seen both cases where the glue can work with metal and woodwork.

Don from Garage Door Vancouver
GDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Tileguy

Using a screw into the metal duct won't hurt a thing. Then later when the shelf is removed the hole can be filled and repaired.

Using construction adhesive on the wall will create major repair expense later when the shelf is removed compared to the hole in the duct.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote