How To Seal This Up - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

how to seal this up

I had to tear down some drywall in my lower level. It is only 3 feet below grade. You are looking at my exterior wall. When they built these houses in the early 70's they did not sheath the walls in plywood or OSB. They used this cheap fiber board. It is so pathetic. Anyways, there was insulation bats inbetween the studs,but I removed it because it was moldy at every point the exterior seal was compramised. Some spots are cracked, some are holes from installing vinyl siding, and some are the joints between panels. I also have grass growing up between the wall panel and base 2x4. My question is what would be the best approach to sealing the compramised spots? Should I use spray foam? Caulk......what type? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
how to seal this up-basement-wall-005.jpg   how to seal this up-basement-wall-006.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by beerdog; 04-02-2010 at 03:22 PM.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

how to seal this up

you must seal from the outside first. the siding is easy to remove and install again. Replace the fiber board with plywood and seal with housewrap (Tyvek) This barrier is a critical component of the building system to keep wind driven moisture from entering the wall cavity. this is the problem you are seeing so this is the first thing to fix. Spray foam will be the best insulation to use in air sealing and insulating this area.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

how to seal this up

This is just one 12 foot section.The whole house is like this. The only reason I took the dry wall down was because I was removing some paneling that was glued to the wall and havinga foundation crack fixed today. I figured I might as well seal up this section. I am not up for tearing out all the drywalland residing the house. I would love to but that is taking this a little to far. The fiber board is covered with a layer of foam board, then tyvak, then the siding. i had it done about 7 years ago. The previous siding was 30 year old aluminum that was directly on the fiber panels. My gues is I do not have a problem now, but I figure while the wallis open I might seal it and rehang insulation.

Not sure if you can tell, but the basement interior wall is frammed with 2x2's. I showed that to my carpenter friend and he just giggled. Maybe it was acceptable back then.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

how to seal this up

That wall looks like a Larsen Truss-type deal. With the 2x2s plated to the 2x6s(?), that is all you need. Blown cellulose is often used in these, but maybe not below grade.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote