Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

how to replace, or maybe swap, this odd doorbell setup

Well, I was at home depot and bought a cool satin nickel doorbell ringer to match all my satin hardware on my new front door.

I go to install it, and realize that it's an electronic doorbell ringer, and mine's this 100% manual, no electric model.

I cannot find anywhere to replace this. All I can think of is either deal with it how it is (which is ugly, and sooo quiet that you cannot even hear it if you're not already in that room), or do a complete rip out - which'd be quite the project since the thing goes through the framing from interior to exterior, so that'd be one heck of a project for a diy'er like me just for my doorbell it seems!!!

(oh and in the pic, the exposed 'ringer' parts inside usually have a box type cover over them, I have it off for now til I decide what I'm doing here!)

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated, I guess I'm hoping that I don't need to choose the lesser of two evils - complete rip out of that and completely refinish/wire for an electric model, or just deal with the ugly/impractical old one that's currently there!
Attached Thumbnails
how to replace, or maybe swap, this odd doorbell setup-inside-old-school-doorbell.jpg   how to replace, or maybe swap, this odd doorbell setup-outside-oldschool-doorbell.jpg  

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #2

wow I didn't realize til I checked my post how bad the flash reacted to the outdoor light in the first picture I posted - if a clearer one would help feel free to ask! It's basically just a manual button on the outside that swings a metal arm, which is between two larger metal plates for the noise. The unit is completely through the door framing, not just a thin spot connecting them or anything like that!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Eibwen

Thats an Auntie Que!

Its either string new wire for a new one where you'll need to find a 110 hard wire for a transfromer, then low voltage wire to the chime and button..

Oooooorrrrr take that one back and get a snappy wireless doorbell thats battery operated at least on the button side.

I have a customer that uses them all the time and they really seem to work pretty good. Would be a lot easer than pulling wire...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #4

I've got a wireless doorbell. I LOVE it. And you can add extra buttons wherever you need and set them to invoke either front door or bakdoor chime.
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Eibwen

Just got back from a Homey run.

Less than 30 bucks... Thats alot easier than pulling wires!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #6

oh yeah I've seen those! The only reason I didn't go with them is because if I remove this whole beast I'm gonna be stuck with a hole through my front door's frame... Maybe I'll grab an electronic/battery one, and just kind of leave the old one in place, but remove its button on the outside and put the new one there, leaving the old one's guts through the door frame!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #7

Joeyboy, if you Google a few of the renovator's supply houses, I'm sure you'll find a replica of that very same doorbell unit. If it's reasonably priced, it might be that much more of a charm factor for your house.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Sr. Development Engineer

Your picture is too close to see the big picture. Can you post another from further away? Possible solutions require more information.

DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote