Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #1

Share |

How to repaint grooved words on metal?

Hello,

I didn't know quite how to ask this,
but my problem is, I removed paint from a metal surface, using sand blasting,
and it has immersed words on it with different color,( Is "immersed" the correct word to use here? I can't find the correct English word to use here, as it's not my native language, so please fix me if you find the proper word to use here ), now I need to repaint the metal in gray, but the grooved letters need to be white, so, is there a special white paint that maybe dries more slowly or dries only under special circumstances , or any equipment to do this?

Thanks!

Last edited by glovey101; 06-07-2013 at 05:39 AM.
glovey101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #2

A picture is like perfect grammer.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
A picture is like perfect grammer.
I think I found the word :D the word is "engraved" (is it?)in the metal,
I don't have the piece near me right, so I will give you an example from google :
https://www.google.co.il/search?um=1...2F%3B684%3B274
I need the background to be gray and the words "Model, Serial , PROPERTY OF" to be white

Last edited by glovey101; 06-07-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Embossed. Or stamped. Think old pick up truck tailgate.

You have two paint jobs to do.
With a GOOD masking job between them.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 06-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #5

OK, First apply the color that you need in the deep areas. After it is dry, but before it has fully cured, carefully wipe the surface area with acetone or lacquer thinner to remove the excess paint. Then apply the surface color by transferring it from a hard object such as wood in a pressing fashion rather than stroke.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hugh? How in the world would the OP mask engraved tiny lettering in a metal sign like that?

1. Paint the entire metal blank gray color.

2. In the US a good product to use for the white lettering would be OneShot Sign Painter's enamels. They are alkyd, will dry slowly enough you will not have to fight them and most important, will not "crawl" like paints not intended for the purpose will.

You will need the appropriate sized sign painter's or model makers brush too. And you will need mineral spirits to rinse out your brush. It is going to be meticulous work.

Are you sure it would not be cheaper to just make a new tag out of engraved plastic where the white shows through the gray or is this for a restoration of some kind?

Last edited by user1007; 06-07-2013 at 07:05 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
OK, First apply the color that you need in the deep areas. After it is dry, but before it has fully cured, carefully wipe the surface area with acetone or lacquer thinner to remove the excess paint. Then apply the surface color by transferring it from a hard object such as wood in a pressing fashion rather than stroke.
That is how I would do it. I did exactly the first part for my framing square. The numbers had the paint worn so I could not read them. Painted the whole thing white and waiting few minutes. Then wiped the square with cloth wrapped around a black of wood. The flat surface wiped clean but the embossed numbers stayed white.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

I can cut a pretty good edge with a sash brush but when it comes to needle point artist brush work I develop skill palsy. I tried my best on recessed lettering on my motorcycle and had to resort to the ham fisted method to finish. It looked good in the end however.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Clean the whole sign.
Then paint the whole sign grey. Let it dry well.
Fill Hypodermic needles they make just for this purpose with well-thinned white paint.
Drop tiny dots of white paint in the depressed letters as needed... It will flow out to the edges.
Go light with the dots... You can always add more if you choose.
Attached Images

Last edited by Willie T; 06-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Thanks all for the help.
The problem is, when I paint all in grey, the stamped words are also filling with paint, and it is harder to fill them with white paint as it is losing depth.
Willie T, looks like a good idea, but will it work even if the words are also filling with quite a lot of grey paint? maybe after i paint all with grey, I need to scrape each little letter to remove the grey paint that penetrated to it? or it will still have enough depth?
I am wondering how they did it on the sign originally =/!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovey101 View Post
Thanks all for the help.
The problem is, when I paint all in grey, the stamped words are also filling with paint, and it is harder to fill them with white paint as it is losing depth.
Willie T, looks like a good idea, but will it work even if the words are also filling with quite a lot of grey paint? maybe after i paint all with grey, I need to scrape each little letter to remove the grey paint that penetrated to it? or it will still have enough depth?
I am wondering how they did it on the sign originally =/!
Spray paint it with 3 or 4 coats of very light spray. Just barely "dusting" it so that the paint immediately dries, and doesn't collect.

Originally, if it was painted at all, they rolled it with grey over white.... and dried it quickly with mild heated air. Hard rubber rollers, probably.

Did you know that caps (like catsup and pickle bottle caps) are painted BEFORE the flat sheet of metal is stamped and formed into the cap shape? Just a little info for you. VERY smooth and polished forms!

Last edited by Willie T; 06-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote