Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

How to remove these 'pads'? Solvents? Mechanically? (Pads on mirror!)

Some of you may have helped me in a thread earlier this week where I was removing medicine cabinets, and then filling that hole with new sheetrock.

Well, I finished that off, and went to install the mirror that was supposed to cover most of that wall yesterday. Aside from the studs seeming to be obscurely placed throughout the wall, I realized my mirror has a major flaw, and I don't know how to get around it.

In the pics, you can see that this is just a large rectangular mirror with beveled edges. I got this for free from somebody, and never thought twice about these pad things on the back. I have zero way of contacting them to see what they're doing there, how to mount with them on it, etc, but don't know where to go from here.

I've posted the pics of the pads. There's 5 on the back of the mirror. You'd think they'd just razor off, but they don't. You can *barely* even penetrate them with the razor. And they don't peel off, and they're very, very thick, so I need them off (otherwise I don't even know how you'd mount the thing).

It's literally like someone poured big clumps of gorilla glue on the back.

Any tips to remove these would be great. They're so thick that I can't mount it. The razor blade (fresh blades too) can barely even penetrate these pads, especially their contact point with the mirror's back film (which is delicate enough that it prohobits a couple of ideas I had).

Pics are attached of these pads

Again, any help is very appreciated, I've prepped the whole bathroom for this mirror, which fits very flush in the wall opening (maybe only 2" extra space on any edge), and now have no idea how to put it on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove these 'pads'?  Solvents?  Mechanically?  (Pads on mirror!)-mirror-5-pads.jpg   How to remove these 'pads'?  Solvents?  Mechanically?  (Pads on mirror!)-mirror-pad-closeups.jpg   How to remove these 'pads'?  Solvents?  Mechanically?  (Pads on mirror!)-mirror-pad-razor-stuck-.jpg  

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Eibwen

It looks like some glue and wall portions when it was pulled off of a previous installation. If its stuck that good it will be hard to get off.

Maybe just put a frame around it?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #3

it's a waaaay tight space, so a frame is pretty much not an option. We got this mirror for free and, upon deciding where to place it, found that it fit almost flush in our bathroom (there's only a couple inches extra on any side of it). So it's pretty much gotta go up flat against the wall, 'as-is'
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Eibwen

Wow...

Try scraping with a little heat and see if you can get them off..

Try pricing a new mirror just for giggles to see if its worth the work.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #5

Can you tell what type of adhesive it is? Is it silicon based? If it is, they make a silicon remover that will make it soft and easier to scrape off. You can find it usually where they sell the tubes of caulking and is used for removing silicon caulking around tubs and showers...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

We bought 2' x 3' beveled edge mirrors at Lowes for around $20 each.

If you could start with a new one for $30, it would save you a bunch of time. If you scrape or remove that grey coating on the back of the mirror, you will be able to see right through it from the front.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

That's a common mirror adhesive
(So, it is like clumps of Gorilla Glue, except it's more like squirts of liquid nails or mastic)
It does not come off easy...in fact...you'll be lucky to get it off at all
It was intended to be "permanent"
Can't have mirrors falling down while your shaving or putting on make-up
As you can see, removing the mirror pulled up plenty of "paper" off of the sheetrock

I'm sorry, I have no sure fire removal tips
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #8

combination of heat / razor has removed maybe 1/3 of 1 of the 5 spots....

Definitely not going to get through all of it this way, my fingers are already messed up from forcing the razor blade through it. I'm about to start trying to burn them off with my propane torch, I've already tested it on the gray areas and it doesn't bother them much... This wouldn't be nearly as annoying if this mirror wasn't a perfect fit for the bathroom, and I hadn't spent so much time removing the medicine cabinets in its way, cutting drywall to replace it, sealing, etc, then go to put up the mirror and realize it's got these gigantic chunks all over it!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #9

Well, before using the torch any further I tried my fiance's idea of using goo-gone (i think that's what it's called - it's this citrus spray stuff).

Anyways, I used a razor to carve up 2 of the 'pads/lumps' for better penetration, laid the mirror on a blanket in the garage, and just soaked the 2 lumps with the goo gone.

I let it sit for almost half an hour, and at that point I was able to remove both of them *relatively* easily with my spackling / putty knife (~4" wide flexible blade tool, dunno what it's called lol)
Old 08-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

wow, glad to hear that. I have some stickers that need to be removed from my shower/tub. I might give that stuff a try.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #11

We actually have 2 versions of it here, a little liquid thing of it (maybe 2 ounces) and a spray gel (windex sized - that's the one I've been using). Stuff seems to work awesome! (I hope I have enough posts that I don't seem like a company shill lol).
Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #12

Stuff worked incredible. All 5 pads are now removed, although some left biggish clumps. Those are all still soaking right now with the googone stuff, mirror should be perfect by the end of the night.

UPDATE - mirror is totally clean!! not too bad, much better than buying a new one!

Not only did I not want to spend for a new one, this one just happened to be a weird size (42"X47" if my memory serves), and just happened to fit perfectly both horizontally and vertically in the space I wanted it, so I really wanted to make this work!

Last edited by joeyboy; 08-04-2007 at 07:58 PM.