Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How to remove molds from bathroom grout.

I am not sure if I should post this here. Anyways, how do I remove the black stain on my bathroom grout? It looks like mold to me. I have used detergent and brushed vigorously. It lightened a bit, but still looks disgusting. I plan to re-grout to make it clean again. Is that a good idea?

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,024

Yes; remove the old grout, and replace it, and nine times out of ten, end of problem. Probably not a whole lot more than a $20 bill at your local hardware or home improvement store will buy you the grout, as well as the tools to remove the old and apply the new. If you have a second bathroom, use it for a day or so while the grout sets, otherwise, you may want to plan it a time when you can skip a shower or two, just to allow it to set good. Also an excellent time to remove and recaulk your shower doors, etc.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

They sell products like X-15 and the like or you can make a dilute bleach(1 part bleach to 6 parts water) solution and let it soak overnight on rags or paper towels. Do not spray this homemade solution unless you have the proper face mask as it will irritate your sinuses. Leave a window ope or the vent fan on as this smells like bleach.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Ok, My hunny found out completely by accident the perfect remedy for this.
She was washing out the tub area and was using a spray bottle to clean out the tub jets(we never use the jets so they collect an ugly mold if not used often), she thought the bottle had all purpose cleaner in it that was actually a 50/50 mix of peroxide I had been using to remove pet odour(another good tip FYI'rs)
it worked so well on the jets that she decided to just continue using it on the tub and tiles after wards we had noticed that all the black that had accumulated over the years was gone, thats when we came to the realization it was mold and not normal soap scum as its known.
Id say its worth a try, might be a lot easier and WAY cheaper than re-grouting, unless that was your plan to begin with
P Marage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #5

PS... I understand that when bleach dries, the residue thats left over provides the perfect foundation for mold to reform. Ever wonder why hospitals never smell like bleach? because bleach vapors are toxic and peroxide is odorless, kills all mold/bacteria and dries residue free.

Last edited by P Marage; 07-28-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #6

I would like to try the peroxide solution. What is the mixture? Is that 50/50 water with peroxide? Are you talking about hydrogen peroxide?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #7

Hydrogen Peroxide 50/50 Tap water is what I use for pet stains, it was used accidentally in the bathroom when we discovered the effects.
Google "Uses for Peroxide" and you will find tones if useful info for it.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Good thread - thanks for the tips. I've recently rented an apartment and the previous tenant never gleaned the bathroom - therefore there's disgusting mold all in the grout in the shower. Of course, the landlord probably docked their security deposit for it, but never fixed it...
WillGrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Marage View Post
Hydrogen Peroxide 50/50 Tap water is what I use for pet stains, it was used accidentally in the bathroom when we discovered the effects.
Google "Uses for Peroxide" and you will find tones if useful info for it.
Thanks for the tip! It saves a lot of money!

This forum has helped me many times. Thanks to people like you.