Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,030

How often do new posters come back?

As with many help forums the original posters do not come back.

I still answer as it may help someone else looking or I may learn something as the discussion goes on.

Last edited by mae-ling; 01-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,224

Kinda my pet peeve. Someone posts, gets some informative answers, then they never tell us how it worked out. It's a learning experience for all of us not just the original poster........I, for one, would like to know how they approached their problem and if anything suggested on DIY was of help to them. Of course, some are trolls looking to stir the pot, but, for the most part, it's usually HO's looking for some solid advice.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

One post wonders.....

My guess is that they post their question....have not gotten an answer within 5 minutes and end up doing an internet search (which they should have done first anyway), find the answer, realize how stupid their question was...and don't come back.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (01-11-2012), DangerMouse (01-11-2012), Gymschu (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
As with many help forums the original posters do not come back.

I still answer as it may help someone else looking or I may learn something as the discussion goes on.
There are probably a lot of them that are spammers and/or data miners. There are probably some that get their question answered and go their merry way. I also know that some have been aggressively insulted by active members, and have left angry.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

I know for me, I had so many projects to tackle, I had no choice but to keep coming back!!

But I chime in where I can, and still learn so much from reading other people's threads. And I think this is a great site.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

I did an internet search which brought me here. Asked a question and stayed. Having done construction for over 20 years and liking helping others and realizing I can learn also I figured it was a good fit.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've been on for awhile longer than some. And have friends. And I try to be helpful. It does turn me different when I spot someone with a hidden paid retainer to troll this site and protect interests of say a certain box store and its brands over all others. I guess you could consider the difference between cats to well paid mice at times.

OPs often forget to think about what they are asking. Or Why. Half do not want to hear what they need to on a DIY site with pros trying to help them. They seek confirmation for really stupid things they are planning, or have done. Some of us can only help them so far.

My fave this week is the guy who wants confirmation he can hang a 4x8 ceiling on the crown molding edges. With nothing in the middle. Yes of course if your crown molding is thick you can float a ceiling on it and it will not sag at all in the middle. But only if your trim nails are strong and into real wood.

He needs special trim nails, 16p or 20p that look like these though.

Last edited by user1007; 01-11-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added Image of Special 16/20p trim nails
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Retired

Rewards Points: 75

I rarely post anything, but hardly a day goes by I don't read this forum. When others have more knowledge bout a subject than I do, I don't see the need to clutter the subject.
I really enjoy and have gotten some great ideas here.
Thanks Mike
Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
I know for me, I had so many projects to tackle, I had no choice but to keep coming back!!

But I chime in where I can, and still learn so much from reading other people's threads. And I think this is a great site.
Ditto!
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

My computer's broken. It will only open this site and CT.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Meep!

Rewards Points: 75

I love reading through stuff on here- I'm on some other forums, and some are very good, some are condescending and/or very judgmental. Pet forums are like that. If you don't do something exactly like someone else would, you're a complete idiot, akin to a murderer. Stuff like that makes people that aren't one-and-done answer seekers leave.

The only thing that really gets me is when someone asks a question in good intention, and people that know the answer, apply it every day, all day, and consider that knowledge to be second nature- tear someone a new hole because they don't know that answer, or have not come across the situation to apply or know it before.

With that said, if you sign onto a board and ask a question- and get an answer from people that perform in that arena daily who all give the same answer to your question, don't then play the "but how about if I use xxxxx instead, it's cheaper..." card or something like that, that's craptastic etiquette.

Just my .02

...and no, my comment wasn't directed at the floating ceiling thing above. Common sense suggests against that building decision. :D
Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Dirt For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

I am a newbie on the site and must admit I will be the one learning from you guys. I just bought my first home in August and am hoping to make some changes and upgrades to my new home. So thanks in advance to all those who are active in this forum.
zman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Hell of a fella

Rewards Points: 25

I guess I would fall into that category...came here and posted one question. Though I really enjoy reading through these forums to see what I can learn...it's also cool to see that "others have been there too" in regards to situations around the house.

I'm glad I found this site.
DrumBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

It's funny, I was considering starting a thread about this. I think I would have called it "Finish What You Start".

I'm a rookie in most DIY-related areas, and I spend much more time reading threads than I do actually posting. I'm here to learn, so it kills me when I come across all these 'dead-end threads', as I call them. People will ask questions about things they're working on, sometimes even taking the time to post pictures, but once they get their answers, they don't follow up on their results and often never return. Even some people with more substantial post-counts don't follow up.

Maybe people don't realize or don't care that every thread is an archive that can be referenced for years to come. The help someone needs today is bound to be the same help someone else will need tomorrow. It's quite selfish to seek advice from people then bail out without sharing how that advice was applied. Even if someone knows nothing, they can still make a contribution after asking a question by showing and/or telling how the free knowledge they were given has helped them.

This is supposed to be a community effort, and for the most part I think it is, but there will always be people who take advantage of what make forums so great - it's a free place to pick the brains of knowledgeable people.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

Several times a member will 'wake up' a years old thread--ask a question and the original poster will return to answer it.

That is a great moment.