Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Question

How much????

I'm not sure which gets old more quickly; (new) members asking how much their project is going to cost, or (old) members jumping down their throats about it. There has to be a better way..

Maybe it would be easier to just flag/report such posts to the moderators, who could inform the OP that such topics are inappropriate? I know that sounds like more work for the mods, but it seems like they end up involved in most of those posts anyway. Or, some kind of "in your face" sticky which new members are forced to read before they can post?

Of course, the easiest way would be to just ignore those posts. Without replies, they will disappear fast enough...

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,474

How much????

I still consider myself a newbie and I'm already done with that question as well....

But, funny you should mention it.....I posed the same question to the mods....I wrote up a general response that basically says...."This is a DIY site....if you want to know how much it cost to have someone do it....go to the yellow pages"...

Anyway, I wrote it up....and a couple of guys are looking it over....it may go out for some general input from the others...and if usefull enough....made a sticky....then we can just say "Go here for your answer".

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How much????

You know what you really see a lot of, on just about every web forum for every topic or interest on the web? People complaining about how other people use the forums

Jim
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

How much????

It happened again earlier today and this is what DangerMouse posted. He says this is the uniform response.

Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.
Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, an addition, a decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an Internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local-rates, material preferences, etc.
Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s). Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references.
The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc.
We encourage you to continue to post other DIY related questions on this site.

The issue is that no matter what is said early out to discourage the question there are still regulars here that insist on jumping into the mix and answering the question anyway. They just don't seem to get it.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

How much????

Were all working on it---We're as tired of the posts as anybody---Bud and Ddawg got the ball rolling--We will have the solution soon enough---Mike----
BigJim (12-28-2011), gregzoll (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

How much????

Maybe start a new category called "How much will it cost? Pricing estimates" and put a sticky called "READ BEFORE POSTING" with a disclaimer like Danger's.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

How much????

People should be more open to the concept of Math and things like derivatives and integrals. Wolfram Research still runs a free integral site I think.

If it is x miles to to mars, how many yards of pink flannel does it take to make pajamas for a hippo?

I do think posters come here expecting some basic help with cost problems but how in the World can such questions be answered without knowing all the variables.

Still drives me nuts that the system running this site does not force an answer to basic geography with sign up. I never would but if I dared suggest costs for things based on where I am compared to say, Paris, TX? Would be absurd. And irrelevant.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

How much????

Precisely---As useless as asking was a meal will cost in a restaurant---
gregzoll (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Tileguy

How much????

If they would come with some details and information it may be different but they are so simple and ask minimal questions and want factual answers. I can understand they don't know what to ask maybe but c'mon. "How much will it cost to drywall my basement"? And someone is supposed to make a guess with that information? It's easier just to have a disclaimer and stick to it.
Gymschu (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Crusty Old Dude

Rewards Points: 75

How much????

I completely agree with all that has been said about not being able to price out someones job for them on a forum like this. That is exactly why I would just not respond to this type of post.

However ........... I just read through all the terms of service and posting rules. Nowhere does it say it is generally not a good idea to ask "how much?"

Mabey if it was added to the basic posting rules, you would see far less of this type of post.

I have seen replys to some of these how much posts get a little ugly when all that is needed is to suggest that it is impossible to answer the question that was asked.

Just MHO,
1910NE (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

How much????

Contractor Talk closes those threads and I think they send them over here.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Tileguy

How much????

Quote:
Mabey if it was added to the basic posting rules, you would see far less of this type of post.
I think that is the plan once they decide on the jargon they want to use.

Quote:
I have seen replys to some of these how much posts get a little ugly when all that is needed is to suggest that it is impossible to answer the question that was asked.
That wouldn't be any fun.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How much????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That wouldn't be any fun.
Bud, I cannot believe your cynical attitude at times. Who told you forums like this are supposed to be fun!?Get a grip bubba.

Last edited by user1007; 12-27-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Tileguy

How much????

Quote:
Who told you forums like this are supposed to be fun!?
Where is it written they aren't supposed to be fun. If it paid better maybe some rules would be more stringently adhered to. Life is too short to be so serious about everything all the time.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How much????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Life is too short to be so serious about everything all the time.
Indeed. And you know, if I can make someone giggle, smile or maybe even laugh out loud once every day. It all works out.