Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Automotive Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to Sellncars
Share |

How many members here have been told to leave??

How many members here have been told to leave the Contractor Talk forums? I can NOT believe i was asked to leave because I'am NOT a contractor.

Sellncars
Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

As a DIYer for more than 50 years, I have more than 13,000 posts over the years as either a member, moderator or so-called super moderator on various DIY websites. Each site has its own rules, and some enforce their rules more than others.
Not being a building trades contractor myself, I've never visited that site, so I don't know exactly what the rules are there. Apparently, one has to be a building trades contractor of one type or another to participate there. Rules are rules. What's the problem?
Their site. Their rules. If I don't like them, I leave or don't go there to begin with. No problem.
Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen
As a DIYer for more than 50 years, I have more than 13,000 posts over the years as either a member, moderator or so-called super moderator on various DIY websites. Each site has its own rules, and some enforce their rules more than others.
Not being a building trades contractor myself, I've never visited that site, so I don't know exactly what the rules are there. Apparently, one has to be a building trades contractor of one type or another to participate there. Rules are rules. What's the problem?
Their site. Their rules. If I don't like them, I leave or don't go there to begin with. No problem.
Mike
Hi Mike,

It's not really a problem, it's just the way that they did it, i had 40 post's and then i ask about a bathtub waste and overflow, someone see's that I'm not a contractor in my profile, then decides to be a whiner. This jacka$$ cry's to the moderator and all of a sudden I'm being asked to leave. This is all fine, i thought it was a good site, very informative, which it is, take away a few whining Contractors.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #4

I'm also registered there - and I think you'll find that many of the pro's there are encouraged to answer questions over here. I believe they started this site to answer DIY questions, and keep their site to people in the business. (as much as possible) The sites are affiliated. There is a lot of good info there - but if you have a DIY question post it here.

They didn't tell you to leave - they asked that you post it here. Some of the guys even answered your question.

I'd hate for them to lock us out of that site, because there is a lot of good information there.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Remodeler

Sellncars,
It is nice to have a place for contractors to shoot the s)&t without home owners and Do it yourselfers there. Not that we have anything against you it is just nice to talk about trade things without the DIY questions.
Yes Nate set this up for just that purpose. Many of us stop here on our rounds and try to help answer questions that we have experience in. I think there is much support here.
Don't take it personally it is just the way.
Thanks for visiting and keep the questions coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst
Sellncars,
It is nice to have a place for contractors to shoot the s)&t without home owners and Do it yourselfers there. Not that we have anything against you it is just nice to talk about trade things without the DIY questions.
Yes Nate set this up for just that purpose. Many of us stop here on our rounds and try to help answer questions that we have experience in. I think there is much support here.
Don't take it personally it is just the way.
Thanks for visiting and keep the questions coming.
I'm not really taking it personally, but if they only wanted Contractors they should NOT have allowed anyone to register and post. This DIY site is also great, i will keep posting here, if and when i have any problems that I'm not familiar with. I'm not trying to get banned from that site, they have although taken away some features already. I can not accept or send PM'S anymore, i just think they could have done a better job with the registration process. I know alot of Contractors local, and i don't think they believe they are better then someone NOT in the business.

I know that it only takes ONE whiner to get the ball rolling, that is what happened over there, one contractor with his head up his behind started all of this, because he think's he is better then someone else. I would love to repair this guy's vehicle, or better yet, sell him a vehicle, then i could gouge him and treat him like dirt, show him the other side. My venting is finsihed and i appologize to anyone that has to read this.

Sellncars
Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
general contractor

Sellncars,

No you just happened to be the proverbial last straw. There has been post after post of how much do I charge, and other stuff. It had become an issue of people shopping local bids they had rec. and other issues. Nobody had any personnal issues with you. Like they said, they are trying to get back to contractors only.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
renovations

Sellncars, you weren't, perhaps, totally honest over there, either. You put your contracting trade originally as 'plumber' but then changed it when you had a plumbing ?. What's with that?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Sellncars, you weren't, perhaps, totally honest over there, either. You put your contracting trade originally as 'plumber' but then changed it when you had a plumbing ?. What's with that?
This is going to be the last time that i talk about that half a$$ed web site again. ProWallGuy the moderator over there PM'D me stating that he had a complaint from another jerkoff member, that i was a DIY'er, in which I'am. I had a plumbing question, and apparently i put down i was a plumber, which I'm not. Now just because i don't do carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and so on and so on for a living, doesn't mean that i wouldn't put alot of these Contractors to shame. I don't know it all, like so many of these guy's think they do. I will also be the first to ask a question if i don't know how to do something. My occupation is Automobiles, now when one of these guys has a question about their van, and they don't know the answer to, I'm sure they look for an automobile forum, i would like to see them get banned because he was a residential painter. Don't ask how much to do a head gasket job on your van, go to this site and one of them should help you, this web site is set up just for Automechanics or related to that business.

Now this ProWallGuy has tried to ban my IP address, he's not a very smart guy is he? Maybe i can't post, but i can still read. Please, Moderators of this site, delete this post, I'm done crying....

Sellncars
Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #10

Wow, what an entitled society we live in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars
This is going to be the last time that i talk about that half a$$ed web site again. ProWallGuy the moderator over there PM'D me stating that he had a complaint from another jerkoff member, that i was a DIY'er, in which I'am.

Now this ProWallGuy has tried to ban my IP address, he's not a very smart guy is he? Maybe i can't post, but i can still read.
Where to start....
First, ProWallGuy did not ban you I did. I own these sites and I have set them up with very specific rules... rules that you broke.
Second, the reason I banned you is because of your attitude and not because you were a home owner. If you were a home owner I would have just asked you to post over here but when you lash out against people I don't have the patience or time for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars
I'm not really taking it personally, but if they only wanted Contractors they should NOT have allowed anyone to register and post. ...... i just think they could have done a better job with the registration process.
The registration process that you are complaining about did exactly what it was suppose to do. It tells you that you need to be a professional contractor to join the site and then ask you to enter your contracting trade. You entered PLUMBER
Then it asks you what the name of your company is and you entered: Barneys Plumbing. So, you lied to get around our system and then are complaining that we caught you?

Honest it's nothing against you or anyone else... it's just that we have designed ContractorTalk.com for contractors. That means over 50% of the knowledge is about the business of contracting and the trade knowledge is from a professionals point of view. That means a lot of things but just as an example a lot of the electricians wont give advice to a homeowner because they don't want them to get hurt. But to another professional they are ok with. Safety is a big issue and one of many reasons these sites are separate.

We set up diychatroom.com as a unique way for homeowner to interact with the contractors on contractortalk.com and it's been a big success. I think you will find you can get a lot of your questions answered here.

On a side note we really moderate attitudes. we don't want people who lash out at other members, moderators or whatever on any of our sites. Please keep a positive attitude and if you need to discuss specific issues with specific people Private Message is the best way to do it.

ProWallGuy has been on ContractorTalk.com for a long time and is one of my best moderators. He has helped us get to the point the site is at right now.

One last thing... I know what a proxy is and I am aware you can get around an IP ban. Just like when we "try" to enforce the rules on our sites, "try" to have a good registration process, and "try" to run a productive site that will help people... there will always be someone who tries to tear that down and all we can do is our best. I hope your attitude changes for the better soon so you can stick around this site.

Thanks

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 08-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
renovations

Old 08-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
fhi vinyl windows

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Great response Nathan! ---
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Paperhanger/painter

Hmm, I reckon Nathan said it a lot nicer than I would've.
But, just to set the record straight, no other jerkoff member whined about you. At least not to me. It was all my doing, and I was just following rules. As a moderator, I watch who's posting, and what's being posted. I noticed your questions right off the bat as DIY, but when looking at your profile, I assumed you just might be a dumbass plumber. So, when you changed your profile, you did yourself in.

Here is a screen shot of just exactly how I locked your thread. Notice my gentle attitude, and pleasant demeanor.

Then, YOU PM'ed me, and you tell me where it went downhill:

Your booting me because of what i do?
Hi,

Your really gonna boot me from this forum because I'm not a contractor? My post's have all been clean, nothing vulgar, no racism, just questions about certain problems. I have never been to a web site that has booted a member because of what his occupation is. Please , let me know if your really going to boot me from this site.

As for the DIY forum, the main reason i come here is because it seems to have more people answering peoples questions.

Sellncars

I responded with:

Yes, unfortunately, its the rules. Its nothing personal against what you do or who you are, as I'd remove a doctor, lawyer, senator, trash man, pro golfer, or auto mechanic because they are not contractors, or related to the contracting industry at all. If we let one post, we'd have to let them all. But we don't. Sorry.....

You came back with:

That's a pretty ****ty way to run a board. I could have been a ************ on this board then at least I would expect to get **** canned from it, but because there are a few ********************* contractors that don't like it?

Sellncars

To which I responded with:

Sorry you don't like the way this forum is run. You need to take that up with the administrator, Nathan.

I would also like to add that all your questions were answered for you, even though it was pretty obvious that you weren't a contractor.
And your right, I don't know squat about static/dynamic IPs, or proxies or whatever, because I'm not a web guy, I'm a CONTRACTOR.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
Journeyman Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
I assumed you just might be a dumbass plumber.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Paperhanger/painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber
Crap! I knew someone would catch that!

Closed Thread