Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

How long would it take you?

(This post is just for fun)

I've only done one bathroom - and this week I'm starting on my 2nd one.
Due to a variety of problems my first bathroom took me 9 months :D

This bathroom is an 11.5 x 5' full bath.

I'll be doing 165 SF of porcelain 12"x12" tile (floor and wall) - re-plumbing and running all new electric.
Toilet and Tub will be removed from current location and replaced - so all new drain and septic plumbing, as well.
I'll be stripping everything out - down to the studs. All new subfloor and backerboard on the walls (currently the bathroom is completely done with hardboard)

How long would it take you? (pro or DIY)

I'm shooting for 3 weeks on this 2nd go around.
Though, with my luck, it'll take 6 (I have 4 kids, my husband's away on a muster for a while, etc etc - life happens).

However - I'm now fully aware and up to snuff on what went wrong with the first bathroom - every problem I had I've researched and read on and know what to do differently. I even practiced some tiling on a scrap of backerboard to figure out what I messed up before.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you're planning ahead, great! and the practice always helps!
I'll be doing 2 separate baths in our home this year, from floor joists to ceiling. All new walls, hvac, electric and plumbing. I figure it'll be a week or two from start to finish, although the toilet(s) will only be out of service for an hour or two....lol

DM

Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

My bathroom took me a year...oh wait...I'm not done
Actually I am going to redo it...5 years later

My last house I only had one bathroom so maybe about a month
Sistered floor joist & new subfloor, heated floor, new tub & tiled wall
Moved toilet sideways against a side wall
New vanity, lights & paint job
I do not think I will ever use 4" tiles again

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Garage Door Installation

Rewards Points: 10

Love the birdies! My brother is about to purchase his first home and it needs a ton of work in just about every area of the house but the first place we have to focus on is the bathrooms.

I'm not sure how much work he plans on putting into it, but I certainly hope it doesn't take us 9 months I'm anxious to get started though!
FLGarageDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

I had a job once renovating bathrooms in a Townhouse complex. One unit at a time.
Once they were available (empty of Tenants), I had 5 working days to gut the bathroom, install new tub and faucets, boards and tape the shower stalls, tile, grout, caulk, install vanity and top (prebuilt), add back splash, new lino, paint and trim out.
They first one took an extra day, but once you got into the program, it was doable. One man operation, no helpers.
I'd do as many as 3 a month, subject to vacancies.
Then the hardwood flooring guys would strip the floors, reseal and the units were ready for new tenants after the painters got done. (yes, floors first. kept the dust off the new paint.)
A whirlwind of activity. But they paid well enough.
Two of those a month was enough to keep me going. Did about 24 in a year. Everything else I worked on was a bonus for the Tax Department.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Military Mom of 4

Yeah - I can imagine that repeatative jobs make it quicker - knowing what all the problems are before you get to it.

It always helps to know what you're doing before you do it . . . not knowing is what leads to lengthy remodels.

Quote:
I do not think I will ever use 4" tiles again
Neither will I!
Notice how I'm using 12"x12" tile on the floor AND walls. (the floor and walls will be different patterns, though) LOL I did my kid's bathroom floor to ceiling with 4x4 and my heavens, it was hell! Especially since I messed up and had to scrape out thinset and grout. UGH! adding onto the already lengthy work - and to add that I started 1/2 way up the wall with a board to keep the decorative line straight - aint never doing that again, either.