Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to level my log home accurately?

Hi Guys,

I have a problem... My house is sitting on concrete blocks, and over the course of a couple of years has become uneven. This is evident by the cracks on the walls and because doors and windows no longer close correctly. I'm going to do the job on my own and don't have many tools to work with. I'd like to know how to do it in an accurate way.

Thanks a lot in advance...

ronaldace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

First thing is to make sure you're up to the challenge. This is not normally a DIY task. Go about this the wrong way and you'll create more damage than you have now. You are dealing with tons of load. A wrong move can get you in big trouble or worse.
Second, you will need some BIG heavy duty screw jacks and a device to check levels. That could be a good laser level, a transit or at minimum a liquid tube level. Don't even think about trying it with a spirit level.
Next is to figure out what caused it to settle. Are you sure that it is settlement and not shrinkage of the logs or rotting of a component? Is this setting on a block foundation or on piers? If on piers, are they in good condition? Are they plumb?
If you know that it is settlement, get under there with your level and find the highest point. Map out the other bearing points from the highest. Once you have a map, you can begin to think about how to jack it. This didn't sag over night, so be prepared to take a while to jack it back up. You can't do it all at once. Make your map first and find out how far things are off. Repost with answers to the questions above and some pictures would be nice.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 09-24-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 88

When a log home is built, windows and doors are allowed a little of lee way in case of movement. If the whole structure has sunk on one end as stated, the OP will have to contact someone knowledgeable in lifting the structure, then new footings & pilings will have to be put in place to support it.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #4

The fact that the house is sitting on concrete blocks causes concern with me right off. Hopefully those concrete blocks are supported by an appropriate frost footing below grade. If not, there's your problem.

Definately not a DIY job. Time to call a professional.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote