Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how to keep cat in kitchen

Hi all,
This will test your innovativness. My son is moving into an apartment and wants to lock the cat in the kitchen when no one is home. The area is too small to put a regular door on. (I had suggested a screen door but there is no place for the door to stay opened) They looked into accordion doors but haven't found any with bottoms and believe the cat will push his way under. We want to do something that will make it possible to get their security back when they leave.
Soooo, any suggestions? They don't want to cage the cat so please don't suggest that.
Thanks

deetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Leash?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Taxidermy popped into my mind.... right after you leash it and it hangs itself over a kitchen table chair...

I'm so sorry - just could not resist..

Last edited by Rivethead; 01-02-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

How about a retractable screen door like you see on patio slider doors? That would be compact and wouldn't use as much space in the doorway as accordian doors.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #5

How about a bi-fold closet style door?
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
We want to do something that will make it possible to get their security back when they leave.
Soooo, any suggestions? They don't want to cage the cat so please don't suggest that.
Ayuh,....

I'd say you're lookin' for a Miracle....

Unless it's Caged,... You can pretty much Forget about your Deposit... period....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #7

How about a pocket door. It slides right inside an exsisting wall so you do not have it in the way when it's open.

Good luck,
Tom
Tom Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

Staples
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

deetu -

How in the world do you expect to have a cat(s) and contain them only to the kitchen 24x7.

It does not work since you are just dealing with a bigger cage that you have to manage when you are occupying the space you are renting and need access.

Make sure you have very clean litter boxes in the kitchen or bathroom. Create some areas that are attactive and comfortable to the cats to localize their time when you are not there.

For the past 20 years I have had black cats and had a lease that specified being able to pass a UV scan when we left and we always got our deposit back.

for the last 10 years, we had our own apartment and then a home with two 15# long haired black cats and never had a problem. Siames can be more of a problem. These two are no problem except we need to have a good vacuum because of black hair on light carpeting. They have two litter boxes cleaned daily (2 minutes), dry food 24x7 and a small bit of wet food in the AM & PM as a reward. They only problem might happen when we allow a neighbors cat or dog in, but that is very rare and controlable. Make sure you have the right food to prevent hairballs in long haired cats.

By the way - I am slightly allergic to cat hair and have not been to a hospital for 8 years and that was from new carpet/moving dust and the cats make occasional visits to the bed at night until they get too close and then get booted out.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #10

Knowing cats as I do, if you do not want to place the cat in a large carrier and the cat is not declawed, there is very little you can do to curtail the cat's escape unless there is a solid barrier. Perhaps you would consider putting the cat in a bathroom rather than the kitchen. You'll probably have to touch up the woodwork of the bathroom door from claw marks at some point, but it is your best bet.
This old houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 12

Have you tried sitting down with the cat and explaining to him why it's necessary to stay in the kitchen while you are gone? That should do the trick.

How about putting a tall bookcase against the wall next to the kitchen door, maybe with rollers, furniture glides, or felt under it, depending on the type of flooring you have. Before you leave for work, roll the bookcase in front of the door to block the cat in. You won't have any nail or screw holes to repair when you move out, and if you get to the point where you can trust your cat to be in the other rooms while you're gone, you won't have wasted any money on a door.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #12

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/es/scat-mat.aspx
JCAHILL4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #13

The problem here really is the cat will be running the apartment and has figured out how to have your son pay for it. The cat is king and he knows it. Your son is his servant. He merely delivers food and holds the door for the cat. The cat knows that he can provide his own food should the need arise but life is goo so why hunt? He is a wanderer and explorer by nature and he is independent. You will only annoy him if you try to restrain him. If he decides to stay in the kitchen because he likes it, he will let you know.

Excellent comment on food relating to hair balls though. I am certain diet effects dander as well.
Get a good vacuum and use it often, including in ventilation. Avoid carpeting. Wash the cats blankets, bed. It's all about maintaining the cat hair frequently. I have dander allergies and visit a friend who has a cat and have no isssues as the house is hardwood with leather furnature and vacuumed often.
Taxidermy while more lasting is likely more expensive than the damage deposit.

I would rather live with an moody wife than an moody cat.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #14

What exactly are your concerns. Your concerns will be the same whether you are home or not, only by being there, you actually see the cat do something you would rather he didn't do. Using the furniture or door trim as a scratching post?, even when you are there, damage is done time you run or holler. Here, three cats and two dogs have the run of the place, yes you need to do repairs and clean-up but that is our choice. I understand rent vs. own but the cat or dog sure doesn't understand or care. As for the cage, probably your best option, just get a big one.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #15

keep the cats nails cut tight and let it roam,but the kitchen will be a good place for the bedding and litter box and food.if it is sunny they will just hang where the sun is....and they love those big front picture windows watching the world go by.this 2 month old gal roamed all over the place but always used the litter box and slept with the bros ...you lookin at me!got it hang a fish on the ceiling fan in the kitchen and run it on low speed.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote