How To Hang Swing Bench From 4x6 Rafter On New Porch - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to hang swing bench from 4x6 rafter on new porch

Hi there,
I've read/been told some conflicting advice on how to secure our 4' swing bench on our new porch. the porch roof consists of 4x6 cedar rafters that are 3' apart from center. it is an angled roof. so first off, i've heard conflicting things about hanging the bench on one rafter with one chain longer than ther other. will the swing really be that messed up/off kilter? the other option would be to hang it from 2 rafters on less of an angle since they are 3' apart and the bench is 4' long.

our contractor suggested that we put the hardware into the side of the rafter with a bolt to secure it. he said that if we were to just put an eye hook into the bottom beam to make sure it's at least 5 or 6'' long but I'm having trouble finding anything like this at our local hardware store. other folks have told me just to use the traditional eye hooks that are just a few inches long and that will work fine.

i found this picture of a bench hanging with the hardware on the side (look at page 5) is this legit?

http://issuu.com/honestabeloghomes/docs/honest-abe-log-homes-april-2012

please! any advice would be greatly apprecaiated. i've attached a picture of the porch roof.

best,
deb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-09 20.13.06.jpg (97.0 KB, 427 views)

Advertisement

debn802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

If it were me, I would probably build some custom welded brackets. Like 3 sided bracket in U shap. With a large eye bolt welded on the bottom. I don't think having one chain longer than the other would matter too much. I can't imagine anyone doing any major swinging

Advertisement

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
debn802 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

My porch swings has one chin that is 8" longer and have had no issues with it whatsoever.
pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pkrapp74 For This Useful Post:
debn802 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

i have the tops of both my chains on each side using one mounting point at top
terry603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

I'd prefer not to have a custom bracket made but that is a great suggestion if we end up having to go down that road. Great to know that an 8" difference in chain lenght won't be noticed on the swing!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

There are easier ways to do it. Get some long eyelet lag screws. Like 1/2 by 6" drill some pilot holes and anchor them straight in. Would be plenty solid. Only problem is that you are drilling large holes in structural beams. That's why I like having u shaped brackets more. Then you can use small, short lags and it would be even more solid.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
debn802 (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrapp74 View Post
My porch swings has one chin that is 8" longer and have had no issues with it whatsoever.
Same here. I have a log house, so my porch rafters are 4x8 pine. I used the longest eyelet lag screws I could find.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
debn802 (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

can i ask how long the lag screw was that you found? i'm having trouble finding one locally where the screw part is more than 2-3 inches. i've seen some heavy duty ones online that were 4-5" in screw lenght but 5/8" wide and i thought that might be overkill?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,236

I don't recall how long they are, but I think they're at least 6 inches. I got them at Home Depot. In no way are 5/8" screws overkill. Since the swing is wide enough for two people, those two screws could be holding up 400 pounds or more.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

To my knowledge eyelet screws aren't designed to support that kind of weight. That is why the contractor suggested some kind of bolt through the side of the rafter. If it is a solid forged eye bolt then those are designed to support weight. I know you are only talking probably 500lbs max, but those eyelet lag screws can bend at the eye portion of it because it's not solid, unless they make some kind of heavy duty 3/4'' thick ones that I'm not aware of. It's not so much the length of the screw that matters, although that does help. As far as having your rafters 3' OC and having a 4 foot swing, it really just depends on how the chains attach to the swing. Most of the ones I have seen hook to the bench, go through the arm rest, and up to its hanging support. So any way you would hook it to your setup without installing some blocking, you would be either pulling the armrests in , or pushing them out and eventually they will start to come apart. Without adding blocking in your roof I would have to say turning the swing parallel with your rafter would be a more simple choice, however because one chain will be longer then the other, that side of the swing will move a little easier, but for a porch swing I doubt you will be swinging like you are 10 years old again, swinging as high as you can, then jumping off. Although if you have kids they might .
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Look where they have kids swing set hardware. Here the best would be Menards. Don't know by you.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

I just did a quick google search and there's many different options.. But something like this is what you want for your application... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3589101
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
I just did a quick google search and there's many different options.. But something like this is what you want for your application... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3589101

those are a little overkill and not needed. Those are designed for swingsets where major swinging is going on. With a porch swinging bench, swinging isn't the issue. Its pretty much strictly weight. Those don't really add anything for weight,
Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #14

Not that I really care.. Poster asked a question. Seems they were concerned.. That toysrus product is.... : --- mber 248679. The swing hangers can support up to a weight limit of 350 lbs and comes with a 1 year warranty---- How 350lbs is overkill I'm not sure.. Never sat with your significant other on your lap? You do the math. Plenty of obese americans would alone be stressing that.. Better to overkill(which it isn't) then be sitting on the floor with a sore hiney.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
liscenced electrician

1) that would be 350 each, so 700 total. If 2 people that were 300+ pounds each were dumb enough to sit on the bench, they deserve to end up on their rear end.

2) Those are overkill for swinging movement, not weight limit. They do not have a higher capacity than 1/2x6" lags. The anchor holes on those looked pretty small. 1/2x6 would have at least as much weight capacity. Those are overkill for swinging movement.

Advertisement