How To Fix Nail Pops? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Fix nail pops?

whats the best way to fix these?

fixing a property that has them, mainly in the ceiling, but little outward dimples in the drywall?

do i just hammer them in and polish over with some joint compound? sand down and paint?

??????

Advertisement

iminvalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

How to Fix nail pops?

What I do is push the Sheetrock up tight to the ceiling joist and install a drywall screw about 4" away from the popped nail, then I set the popped nail with a hammer. I then install another nail right along side of the one I just set to compress the paper and Spackle that was covering the popped nail . then Spackle and paint. this practice works great for me. I'm sure there are other techniques that are as good and will follow. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How to Fix nail pops?

Into the drywall and framing at a point near the nail pop (allow a little space, maybe 1" from nail pop) insert a drywall screw on each side of nail.Set nail. Cover nail and head of screw with compound .

Last edited by Handyman Jim Noonan; 08-08-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: To remove mistakes
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

How to Fix nail pops?

I like to send a drywall screw on both side of the nail pop. If the drywall tightens up enough to fully pop the nail so I can reach the head, I pull it, if not I just hammer it back down and mud everything.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

How to Fix nail pops?

Drywall screws are "low root" screws, meaning that the "root diameter" of the screw where the threads are is smaller in diameter than a normal wood screw. (That's cuz drywall screws are meant to be driven into wood without predrilling.) If you do predrill, use the drill size which is closest to the root diameter.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/wood_screw_chart.html

Using a drill bit appreciably larger than the root diameter only reduces the holding power of the screw.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to Fix nail pops?

Drywall screws: There are different kinds of drywall screws.

The two most common are:

Fine Thread Screws (Threads closely spaced) - For steel framing, but will still work with wood.

Course thread (Threads spaced further apart) - For Wood framing, do not use with steel framing.

Aside from that, the advice given regarding placement of the additional screws near the popped nail is right-on (buletbob & Troubleseeker).There is no need to pre-drill. Install the screws on both sides of the nail first (This pulls the sheet close to the framing)... THEN, pound the nail/nail head "flat". Coat with compound, etc.

If you are still concerned about the nail, you can apply a small section of paper tape over the area. The nail will not pop again, unless you have a water leak or damage to the wall.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-08-2008 at 07:37 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #7

How to Fix nail pops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
I like to send a drywall screw on both side of the nail pop. If the drywall tightens up enough to fully pop the nail so I can reach the head, I pull it, if not I just hammer it back down and mud everything.
Troubleseeker great minds think alike.
This is what i have found happen to me on two occasions, if i remove the nail that had popped and Spackle over it, when the wall was painted and had cured you could see the area of the old nail start to lift. because, when the nail was install originally it compressed the drywall surface (paper) and gypsum behind. when you remove the nail your loosening up the paper from the gypsum behind. there-for making that area to come loose. its more noticeable with gloss and semi gloss finishes, that's why I install another nail just a bit longer next to the old. I find if you reset the old nail your only gaining about 1/8" more in holding depth do to the fact of the wood shrinking from when it was first installed.
Like I stated above it's better to install another nail right next to the one that popped trying to cover the head of the old with the new. I tried using a screw for this and found that it just tore up the paper around the nail,
I just wanted to throw this bit of information out there in case someone has the same problem. BOB
Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to Fix nail pops?

bob, FWIW, we use screws for it, not nails. One half of our company does only drywall, plaster, and paint work. We have been doing it that way (on popped nails) for 25 years and it works for us = good results with screws. I am sure that either screws or nails will work along seams. But we prefer only screws ever be used in the "field", even on older drywall with nails installed in the "field".
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #9

How to Fix nail pops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
bob, FWIW, we use screws for it, not nails. One half of our company does only drywall, plaster, and paint work. We have been doing it that way (on popped nails) for 25 years and it works for us = good results with screws. I am sure that either screws or nails will work along seams. But we prefer only screws ever be used in the "field", even on older drywall with nails installed in the "field".
ALANTIC.
I'm not disagreeing with you . I agree 100% with using screws . We also use them on all our installs. I only stated that if you where to put another nail next to the one (1/8'" away) that popped and used that nails head to secure the other nail that popped when resetting it. As outlined on post # 2. that would of been the only nail mentioned. because of the fact if I was to use a screw in this location of the popped nail (1/8" away) that screw would of tore up the paper face of the drywall and made a bigger mess to repair. especially when working with gloss paints. I hope i clarified this. so there is no miss interpretations of what i was trying to say. BOB. ps I love these little faces.

Last edited by buletbob; 08-08-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

How to Fix nail pops?

Have edited my post above to remove mistakes. Sorry for any inconveience.

Jim

Advertisement

Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote