Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to fix a house window that falls out?

Two sets of windows on the 2nd floor of our house fall out due to too much space between the window and frame area. It's tight enough at the corners of the frame area, but not in the middle. In fact, I'm able to pull both windows right out with little trouble.

Here are some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27261186@N06/

I'd love to hear suggestions on how I'd be able to fix. Would I be able to take off the top white flashing material and add some wood/shims? Or is the best option to add smaller pieces of wood to the top of the windows themselves to extend them upward? As the window frame seems taller in the middle (that's the really loose area), I'm thinking adding some shim material to the frame under the white part might be best.

Any ideas? :-( Do products exist out there to help with this kind of scenario?

Thanks,
- Matt

Mateo1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It looks like you have 2 issues. There is no stop molding installed. The stop molding, stops the sashes from falling out.
The second issue looks like the side jambs bow out a bit.
Are all the widows set up like these? If not, look at the others to see how they are different, stop molding wise.
To repair the bowing, you need to remove the side molding, insert shims to straighten out the bow and secure the shims in place through the jamb. The stop moldings need to be installed first. Then you can check to see if the windows go up and down correctly and there is only a little side to side wiggle in the sashes.
Have these windows been worked on recently?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

Correct, there is nothing currently stopping the windows from falling out. Yes, all the windows in the house are like the two upstairs, although the other ones don't have the issue of falling out as the windows fit mostly snug. All our windows slides side-to-side rather than up-down. No work recently that I'm aware of.

It sounds like shims are the way to go. I'll need to figure out how to do that without destroying our windows too badly. :-) The white part on the top frame part (bottom of the top jamb?) moved up and down when I press on it, so I'd need to find a way to get that off I think and insert something behind it.

I'm not a terminology guy, so please excuse any confused wording.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Look at windows in another house for the ,"stop molding" placement. Without it, the window is not installed correctly.
Do a simple search, "Window anatomy" to see the correct terminology and placement of the parts.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

I would need more information on the window. Looks like the window slides are supposed to be closer to the window. To remove the windows you press in on the vinyl slides and pull the window out from the top to clean. If you put stop molding on this type of window you loose the ability to easily remove for cleaning.
TNTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Are these entrance door sliders?
JohnJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

It hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it is sitting in a vinyl jamb liner. Interior stops should not be necessary. Getting it all properly shimmed should fix the problem.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #8

Thanks, everyone! While it looks like all the right parts are present, the whole thing seems flimsier than it should be and does bow in the middle at the bottom. For example, I was able to lift up the white part the window sits on and it was flexible.

I ended up being able to hammer shims under the window sashes and that helped elevate. I was able to add the shims without taking anything apart. Maybe not the best professional fix, but ok for this winter which is now here. The windows now fit snug and I even purchased some weather stripping to better insulate. Went a lot quicker than I had anticipated.