How Do You "secure" Insulation To A Floor Joist? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Rewards Points: 75

how do you "secure" insulation to a floor joist?

I want to add a layer of insulation to my floor joists under the house. The floor joists are 2x8's and the insulation is left over for a 2x4 wall. Bolth are 16" oc. Can I staple it to the underlayment directly or suspend it some how?

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Don't try stapling it as you would do if installing in a vertical wall, the insulation will just sag, in about three seconds. They make wire pieces that are specific for this use. They fit tightly between the two floor joist and are made to be "sprung" in the upward position to hold the insulation in. I don't remember the specifics of the spacing but would say no less than 18" apart, the more the merrier actually. Nice to hear from someone in Alaska, my daughter is in Fairbanks, and I have a friend in Kenai. They are keeping me up with Mt. Redoubt. Quite a show it's putting on right now. Hope this helps, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Those would be great if cost affective. I tried a google search and couldnt find a picture. Do you know what they are called?

I am about 120 mile north of redoubt. We have had ash fall twice now. Its been a burden now for a few weeks. I think its gonna blow bigger than Mt Saint Helens in 1980. Others think it will just simmer back down. Is it on the news at all in the lower 48 states? We have been getting alot of small tremmor like earthquakes as well. I do know one thing, The excitement of it all has made our long winter go by a just little faster...haha
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I use plastic in strips when adding drywall after

Are you adding drywall?
Basement?
Crawl space?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

its a 4 ft crawlspace. on concrete footings. Dirt floor with vapor barrier. I have a few bags of 2x4 wall insulation left over and I want to use it up by putting it in the floor for that extra little bit of insulation.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

The wires I'm talking about are usually located near/at the insulation materials in the stores here. I don't know where you are getting your materials up there but they should have them. Then, you go and mention "bags of material, I hope this is not the blow-in type. We would be in a new ball game here. I have seen chicken wire used to hold up insulation underneath a floor, just staple the chicken wire to the bottom of the joist and lay the insulation on the chicken wire. We get some news of Mt. Redoubt when she has an eruption, not much news. My daughter teaches at UAF/Tanana Valley/Fairbanks. She gets me pictures from their Volcanology Studies Department. I have one taken from Kenai and one taken from a Conoco storage depot just south of Kenai from Tuesday or last week, absolutely beautiful. David.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #7

I'll call down to the hardware store tomorow and ask..

This picture was taken March 30th...3 days ago and posted on AVO's site.
Attached Images

Advertisement