Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Share |

How do you find help with the manual labor ?

How do you find help with the manual labor parts of the jobs? I am not a spring chicken,but i can move and work pretty good.I am however past the age where i want to run the wheelbarrow,dig the holes,carry all the material,sweep,shopvac,etc.,etc.I find it beyond difficult to find young americans who can work for a days pay.Is it only me?

bluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Try posting an ad on Craigslist (under "gigs/labor") in your area specifying what you're looking for. Offer a fair compensation. Might work.....

Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

Post a request on a community board in a local supermarket. Some of them allow this for free.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #4

I use craigslist myself. Be careful/picky but I have been very happy.
posylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

I have posted on craigs list.In a big city and a very rural area,as i have work on my homes in both areas.Big city post for laborer at 6am.After work at 6pm, 200-300 replys.Carpenters,plumbers,contractors,rocket scientists,jockeys,airplane pilots all seeking their work at their pay scale.Some people reply 7 times in 2 hours.Some have interesting email handles.Killa4hya,killahomes,*****esfo$,etc.After 3hrs. of sifting,relax,go to bed.200 more replys by morning,lots from midnite to 5:30am.Delete ad,go to work.400 emails,no laborer.Closest was 6',135lbs,no car,2 1/2hrs by public transportation.I should have mailed him a sandwich.Rural area,with zip in ad.7 replys,closest 65 miles away,no laborer.More to add,but i need a beer and get my feet some air.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #6

Some church or social aid organizations will run day laborer pools - and can be an excellent source.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

You could always go to the home depot parking lot at 6AM

I keed I keed!
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
RDS

Does no one hire teenagers anymore? When I was a kid I got a lot of short-term summer and weekend work from neighbors who needed holes dug, dirt wheelbarrowed, lawns mowed, stumps dug out, garden beds prepared, etc. I've actually been thinking about asking a local kid to help me move some rocks, but have been wondering if maybe that's not done anymore -- maybe today's teens are too lazy and/or parents wouldn't want them doing it.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Household Handyman

This is not an ad. Since retiring I own/operate a business in which I describe myself as a "Household HandyMan". I do just the type of jobs which you described, along with many others. I am not a remodeler, nor do I do additions, etc. I do those "Honey-Do" type jobs. My client base is more older people, widowers, people who are physically able but just may lack the skills nor have to proper tools to do those small jobs. Try the yellow pages in your area under "HandyMan" or "Home Repair" (where they put my ads). Ask at the contractors desk at the big box stores, they know the Handymen as well as the big boys. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Does no one hire teenagers anymore? When I was a kid I got a lot of short-term summer and weekend work from neighbors who needed holes dug, dirt wheelbarrowed, lawns mowed, stumps dug out, garden beds prepared, etc. I've actually been thinking about asking a local kid to help me move some rocks, but have been wondering if maybe that's not done anymore -- maybe today's teens are too lazy and/or parents wouldn't want them doing it.

Todays teens (13-27)are a quite useless bunch.If you have work using a game system controller,texting,tweeting,talking on phone it might work out.The normal ones are going to school or have jobs.The others are the reason the country is flooded with illegals.When i was a kid,the rule was school or work.The house needed painting,i painted it.I wanted a car,i earned and saved the cash.No job,no cash,you walked.I will warn you,if you hire the neighbors kid and he is useless,the parents will be mad at you.they may sue
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
Todays teens (13-27)are a quite useless bunch.If you have work using a game system controller,texting,tweeting,talking on phone it might work out.The normal ones are going to school or have jobs.The others are the reason the country is flooded with illegals.When i was a kid,the rule was school or work.The house needed painting,i painted it.I wanted a car,i earned and saved the cash.No job,no cash,you walked.I will warn you,if you hire the neighbors kid and he is useless,the parents will be mad at you.they may sue
amen to that! actually i know a lot of people in all age groups that are quite useless. the generations just pass it on down the line.
NitroNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #12

When I'm really in need I go to those in need. Get up early go to the daily labour places and hit the person you feel most comfortable with before enter the door. You can pay them better and not have to pay the over head. Make sure you have them protected with insurance give them a ride and a good lunch. You know the person is ambitious as they are up early for work.
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #13

Persistence helps.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #14

When ever my dad had a job that he thought was too big for just the two of us he always hired day laborers. There were a few places in Houston that were specified gathering areas for them. By 6:00 in the morning there would already be dozens of them ready to work. This was Texas so mostly immigrants from mexico or central america. My dad and I were always down in the trenches with them doing the work but it was nice having a few extra sets of muscle for the bigger jobs. A job that would take two weekends if it was just the two of us would be done in a day. Those guys were incredibly hard working and for the most part just appreciative of the opportunity to put in a solid days work. I always admired the heck out of them.
jerseyguy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseyguy1996 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-06-2010)
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Don't know it all, yet!

Bluejeans,

I am the same boat you are. My yard has gotten away from me a little because last October I fell from a ladder that broke and broke a wrist plus several other injuries. That was at my regular job so I wasn't out of anything really but I couldn't do stuff that I needed to at home.

Trying to find any kind of decent help has been a pain. I have found that way too many people think they can get a truck and a couple of buddies and do any kind of job out here. I'm sure some need the work, but they want to charge contractor prices for something they know nothing about. Frankly, I know more than most of them, but I just can't do it like I used to. Kind of like the song on the radio, "not as good as I once was." I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the comment about "are a quite useless bunch.If you have work using a game system controller,texting,tweeting,talking on phone it might work out." is right on the money, even for somewhat older people.

I hired a young fellow who had an ad in the local paper for yard work, grass cutting, etc. He didn't show up the first time he said he would, no call or anything but returned my call a couple of days later and scheduled again for a Friday and finish on Saturday. I thought that would be good. What he got done Friday morning looked good when I went home for lunch. But when I came home at 4:30, there wasn't much to show for the rest of the day. Saturday I was with him and got some work out of him, but he kept stopping every time I did and even sat on the porch and ate a sandwich with me- that I provided. Once he started complaining about the briers sticking him. I asked did he not have any gloves? No! How does one do yard work without gloves? At the end of the day, he counted the time for lunch as working. I paid for the time because I got more done with him than without him, but it took as much time as if I had done it myself with some vacation days. But I'm three times as old as he is, on three different medications which cause me to get overheated and dehydrated easily in the Georgia heat and humidity, have two bad discs in my back, the leftover broken wrist, and a hernia (also from the fall when I landed on the end of the ladder leg in my groin). Sorry, but it's really hard for me to feel sorry for these people.

BTW- I have nothing at all with hiring minorities, but I need to be able to communicate with them and I don't pay someone else more than I make to do what I have a degree and certifications in.

My apology for almost hijacking the thread.

Thurman,
I am headed exactly where you are. I see more and more people, especially the elderly who need just a little help, don't know, or don't have the tools to get those little things done. I started a couple or years ago with it, but went back to work full-time for several reasons, insurance being the primary one.