How Do I Install "whirly Birds" ? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How do I install "whirly Birds" ?

I need to install 2 "whirly birds" - aka Attic vents that spin.

Anyone know how high to place them and how far from each end of the house?

I have a house 25' x 50'....I want to install 2 birds...

So how high up and how far from each end?

Thanks!

Advertisement

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I need to install 2 "whirly birds" - aka Attic vents that spin.
Stop. Why do you need to install them? They are ugly and because they are mechanical they will fail... usually in a way that irratates all the neighbors within a block of your squealing turbine... can you tell I don't like them?

Really, what problem do you have, that you think these devices will fix?

Advertisement

xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
Stop. Why do you need to install them? They are ugly and because they are mechanical they will fail... usually in a way that irratates all the neighbors within a block of your squealing turbine... can you tell I don't like them?

Really, what problem do you have, that you think these devices will fix?
In my attic I have 2 vents on each side of the house. I also have tons of little vents in the soffats (sp) but when they blew in insulation into the attic they blocked off the soffat vents. So the soffat vents don't reach the attic.

I was told to properly vent the attic I need to install 2 whirly birds and also put cardboard things that allow the soffat vent air to reach the attic (I understand this is quite a big job as you need to remove the soffats, push back insulation, insert cardboard things and then put everything back).

Most people around here have whirly birds - I never knew that it isn't a good idea?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Totally screwed together

What kind of insulation was blown in - Fiberglass or cellulose?

If you install the insulation baffles, you won't need the squeaking roof mushrooms. I think getting your existing ventilation system working correctly is the best path, rather than introducing an ugly, leak and failure prone abomination to your roof. Did I mention I hate how they look and function?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
In my attic I have 2 vents on each side of the house. I also have tons of little vents in the soffats (sp) but when they blew in insulation into the attic they blocked off the soffat vents. So the soffat vents don't reach the attic.

I was told to properly vent the attic I need to install 2 whirly birds and also put cardboard things that allow the soffat vent air to reach the attic (I understand this is quite a big job as you need to remove the soffats, push back insulation, insert cardboard things and then put everything back).

Most people around here have whirly birds - I never knew that it isn't a good idea?
So common.........who are these insulators that don't know what they are doing?
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
What kind of insulation was blown in - Fiberglass or cellulose?

If you install the insulation baffles, you won't need the squeaking roof mushrooms. I think getting your existing ventilation system working correctly is the best path, rather than introducing an ugly, leak and failure prone abomination to your roof. Did I mention I hate how they look and function?

well you say you don't like them but what else do you reccommend? Solar vents? I mean you have to vent out the top area of the roof somewhere...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Totally screwed together

The hole one each end of the roof is called a gable vent, and this is where the air should flow out from. I like ridge vents better, but you already have a system that's probably workable if you unclog your soffits.

How much access you you have in your attic? How is the underside of your roof detailed? What is the pitch of your roof?

"Most people" will put the cheapest, easiest solution on their home... hey, they'll be gone in 5 years or less, right?

Someone has told you that you need more ventilation... do you have mold issues, ice damming, or any speciffic issue you are trying to address by adding these roof vents?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
The hole one each end of the roof is called a gable vent, and this is where the air should flow out from. I like ridge vents better, but you already have a system that's probably workable if you unclog your soffits.

How much access you you have in your attic? How is the underside of your roof detailed? What is the pitch of your roof?

"Most people" will put the cheapest, easiest solution on their home... hey, they'll be gone in 5 years or less, right?

Someone has told you that you need more ventilation... do you have mold issues, ice damming, or any speciffic issue you are trying to address by adding these roof vents?
The attic is too hot and the house in summer is unbearable.

I have 2 gable vents, 1 roof vent and soffit vents that are plugged.

Eventually I will be putting attic baffles or vent chutes in so that it allows air flow...I don't want to install ridge vents as I just got my roof done last year.
I really don't see the problem with turbine vents, I would say 75% of the houses have them on and I don't hear them squeak...maybe they do eventually, but maybe every 10 years or so.

So I'll probably put 2 turbine vents on for now, and then when I redo the soffits then I'll install the vent chutes.

Comments?

Advertisement