Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Share |

How do I find the right hinges online?

I couldn't find a place for this elsewhere. I did the rustoleum cabinet transformation thing to my kitchen cabinets. I'm all finished with painting. I saved all the old hardware, but it's got 33 years worth of cobwebs and dust on it, plus it's got the old finished painted on it and it doesn't match my new cabinets. Oh, and I also tried soaking a couple of the old hinges in an attempt at cleaning them and they are now covered in rust. I went down to home depot (I have a gift card.), which is the only hardware store in the county. The flat hinges were too flat. They don't go around the edge of the cabinet door, which has a slant to it. The boxy shaped one doesn't line up both of the screw places. (Sorry for my bad terminology. I am not into hardware. What I know is what I see.) Home depot said they have more hardware online, so I went to look, but I have no idea how to tell what will fit. I would prefer to buy from home depot because of my gift card, but am also willing to buy elsewhere, depending on price. I need 42 hinges and don't want to pay a fortune. The cabinet doors have a slanted edge on the inside. I need the hinge to go past that and then it needs to line up with the cabinet frame. In just a minute, I'll photo the old hinge.

christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

I've decided to just put the old ones back on, but I have a problem. Some years ago a couple hinges broke. My dad went to home depot, bought hinges, put them on, and they weren't right. The door would never stay closed and the lower hing broke anyway. I need to find new hinges for that door. It's a really tall and heavy door and it has a big, sturdy frame inside. (It's for the storage space above the stairs.) Could I use some of those inside the cabinet hinges?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

The reason the hinge your dad bought wouldn't hold door close is that the original hinges are spring loaded for that very reason. You would need to load picture of door showing jamb with hinges opened and closed to determine if inside hinges would work. You can look on eBay for hinges they have enough on there you could send a evening looking and still not see all of them. If you can't find something you like I think I have those hinges laying around, would have to check if their spring loaded.

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
JOATMON

You can get those from several places...that is a common hinge....

Try Rockler....

In fact...I have a crap load of those in my garage that I pulled off the doors that my MIL gave me from her kitchen

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #5

I've decided not to buy the hinges because they all add up to a lot of money. I was only going to buy new ones because I had a gift card to home depot. I don't want to spend much money from my own pocket. I've already started putting the old hinges back on. Is there some trick to putting up left-side doors when you are right handed? I can't figure out how to hold the door and the screw, and the screw driver all at the same time for the left-handed doors.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Stand on your head and everything will be righted.

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.