Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How Deep To Dig?

How deep do I need to dig for a steel mail box post? I'm going to dig the hole with a post hole digger and fill in around the pole with concrete.
The mail box itself is very heavy duty steel so I'm guessing the more depth I can get, the better.

commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #2

How Deep To Dig?

Usually ,I dig until the post hole digger no longer pulls any dirt out of the hole ;because, the sides of the digger are restricted from opening to grab any more dirt at a certain depth. The starts to happen somewhere after 27". With a little more effort ,I can get 36". Three feet of depth is my goal.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com

Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

How Deep To Dig?

You want it to be secure, but also want to make sure that it meets USPS codes in height & depth from the edge of the road for the mail carrier to reach. Personally, if you are able to go 4-6' depending on where you live, and Frost line depth, is the best judgment.

Also, when you dig the hole, flare out the bottom about 2' from the bottom, to allow the Concrete to become more secure, otherwise use Rock to hold it in place, which will make it easier later on to replace, or if hit by a car.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

How Deep To Dig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You want it to be secure, but also want to make sure that it meets USPS codes in height & depth from the edge of the road for the mail carrier to reach. Frost line depth, is the best judgment.

use Rock to hold it in place, which will make it easier later on to replace, or if hit by a car.
I agree with gregzoll, except for just a mailbox, I'd not waste the energy to bell the hole.