Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to clean a log cabin

We have a family camp,the log cabin has turned black over the years and needs to be cleaned and oiled. How do I get the logs too look natural again?

Suzie Kepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

How to clean a log cabin

Hi! another log home owner. Go to perma-chink webpage, they help me with mine very knowledgable over the phone help as well everything from stripping to carpenter bee spraying If this home is too black to benefit from their log washes they also make strippers but in the past I have used bleach mixed with water (about 1 part bleach to 4 parts water) spray on, wait till it works and rinse well, let dry well (couple dry days) then use a borate mixed with glycol to treat the wood (perma chink sells one ) wait about a week for the borate to throughly penetrate, then stain. Perma-chink will send you all the info you will need for free. Just get on their mailing list. I use ortho-klor to spray for carpenter bees you can pick this up at lowes (now called home defense I think)Spray in the srping and after heavy rains throughout season.

joan smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,066

How to clean a log cabin

There's a relatively new process to clean the logs. It's called corn cob blasting. Basically the same as sandblasting but using ground-up corn cobs instead. That's what I intend to do in a few weeks on my log home. It can be a DIY process, but here's one company that does it in my area:

www.seedirtrun.com
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

How to clean a log cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Kepes View Post
We have a family camp,the log cabin has turned black over the years and needs to be cleaned and oiled. How do I get the logs too look natural again?
Use a TSP and Bleach mix. TSP can be found at your local hardware store. One Table spoon of TSP to one gallon of bleach. Spray on with power washer. This will help clean any stains and kill any mold on the wood. Most black spots are mold and not dirt. So you need to kill it first. Let dry and spray off any residue and than re-stain...

Last edited by Spencer12; 07-18-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
Spencer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to clean a log cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer12 View Post
Use a TSP and Bleach mix. TSP can be found at your local hardware store. One Table spoon of TSP to one gallon of bleach. Spray on with power washer. This will help clean any stains and kill any mold on the wood. Most black spots are mold and not dirt. So you need to kill it first. Let dry and spray off any residue and than re-stain...
The TSP is a good plan, but using non-diluted bleach will cause nothing but damage. If you have a means of diluting it in the aforementioned power washer that would work, or apply it with a sprayer (diluted) and scrub it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote