Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

How can you "weatherize" some light furniture?

"We" found some chairs with steel legs and flat wicker seating/backs that were intended for the indoors. I was asked to come up with a way to treat them so they can stand up to the weather and thus be put out on the porch for a bistro setting.

I am thinking rub-on poly might work as a coating for both the wicker, and maybe even the steel. Am I crazy? ...wrong?

What would you do to treat them?

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
(the original)

Depends on what kind of wicker....rattan fiber, paper fiber, synthetic? If it's paper, don't even bother. If it's rattan, marine varnish will protect it for a long time if you keep up on it every year. Synthetic, you're probably good to go, but if it's faded and you want to brighten it up a little use the marine varnish. Rustoleum primer and enamel for the metal. I prefer two coats of the brush on instead of the spray because it coats thicker, but I'm close to salt water. Two or three coats of spray works fine most places.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks. Does it matter if the wicker has been coated with an acrylic finish? I ask because I just found out that the
- steel legs are nickle plated and has been coated with acrylic
- wicker has also been coated with acrylic.

Both done by the factory/manufacturer.
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
(the original)

Hmmm.....good question. How thick is the coating? If it's thin, I think if you lightly sand the metal to give the primer a better grip, it should be fine. I know marine varnish works on epoxy, so I'd think it should hold on acrylic, but best to check with a product manufacturer to be sure. You might need to use a chemical deglosser on the wicker before applying varnish.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote